• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1031 liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STEPHAN

What is the name of your state? Florida

I plan on a 1031 exchange. I have done this before. A CPA (Florida, Texas) and attorney (Texas) that I have bought a different property from in the past offered to be the qualified intermediary. He is not my CPA or attorney, so he has not represented me.

I have the idea that he is laxer on the rules than my previous intermediary. He is very experienced.

If he makes a mistake, is that his liability, or would that be my problem?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Florida

I plan on a 1031 exchange. I have done this before. A CPA (Florida, Texas) and attorney (Texas) that I have bought a different property from in the past offered to be the qualified intermediary. He is not my CPA or attorney, so he has not represented me.

I have the idea that he is laxer on the rules than my previous intermediary. He is very experienced.

If he makes a mistake, is that his liability, or would that be my problem?
I don’t see how you would be responsible for mistakes made by the intermediary.

doucar

There is a potential liability for unpaid taxes, interest and penalties for the party to the transaction who gained the tax benefit.

quincy

There is a potential liability for unpaid taxes, interest and penalties for the party to the transaction who gained the tax benefit.
Any critical error by the intermediary could lead to the 1031 exchange being disqualified/voided. That could result in a tax liability. I was in error earlier.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Any critical error by the intermediary could lead to the 1031 exchange being disqualified/voided. That could result in a tax liability. I was in error earlier.
Correct. However, the OP may well be able to avoid paying penalties as a result of the intermediary's error. And the OP may well have a good negligence claim against the intermediary.

If something about an intermediary made be feel uncomfortable enough to have to ask this question I'd probably look for a different intermediary.

STEPHAN

Thank you all! I thought so. Just wanted to make sure. He is a CPA and attorney, and it might have been that he just knows better.

quincy

Thank you all! I thought so. Just wanted to make sure. He is a CPA and attorney, and it might have been that he just knows better.
One concern I might have is that the CPA/attorney “offered” to be your intermediary rather than you seeking him out. If you are not comfortable with how “lax” he appears to be with the rules, or there are other potential red flags, you could be wise to look for another intermediary.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">