• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

administrator mailing address - PO Box vs personal address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dlbbch

Hi

Can I as the administrator of the deceased’s estate (Essex County NJ) use a PO Box for the administrator address and not my personal address? I would use this on the EIN and estate bank account when opened to be consistent.

I’ve been an administrator once before and as it was the first time I was just thrown into it without knowing what my options were. It was for my moms estate.

Jurisdictions differ and I didn’t know if this in particular would be a standard across all surrogacy courts when filling out the application to be assigned as the administrator of the estate.

I want to avoid, unlike last time, all the mail that was sent to my personal address having nothing to do with me and most times nothing to do with the deceased. Like elder care, hearing aids, all sorts of advertising from companies that come out of the wood work.

Cheers!

adjusterjack

Can I as the administrator of the deceased’s estate (Essex County NJ) use a PO Box for the administrator address and not my personal address?
That's a question best asked of the surrogate court clerk before you apply to be representative of the estate.

I ran a quick search of the question and got nothing.

dlbbch

That's a question best asked of the surrogate court clerk before you apply to be representative of the estate.

I ran a quick search of the question and got nothing.
I have also been getting nothing. I tried calling them yesterday but they were closing up shop so I have to wait til Monday.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Hi

Can I as the administrator of the deceased’s estate (Essex County NJ) use a PO Box for the administrator address and not my personal address? I would use this on the EIN and estate bank account when opened to be consistent.
There isn't any rule that says that the estate mailing address must be the same for all purposes. For the estate EIN you may use the P.O. Box as the mailing address but you must also provide the actual physical address, too. See the instructions for Form SS-4, which is the form used to apply for an EIN by mail. The estate may also apply for the EIN with the IRS online but the same rule applies regardless of which method is used to apply for it. The IRS does not, of course, release the SS-4 information to the public, so putting both the PO Box for mail and the physical address won't result in any estate related mail, including junk mail, coming to your home as a result. You'll have to ask the bank and the county probate court clerk what rules they have for the estate mailing address and if a physical address must be provided. If a physical address is needed and you don't want stuff coming to your home, you might consider using a private mail box service which allows you to use its physical address and the service keeps your mail for you to pick up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">