• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealing with debt collection for medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The bigger question is one of the reasonableness of allowing a $50 (alleged) debt to go to collections in the first place. At that point, pay it (grumbling the entire time) and then be surprised if you get a refund.

The same concept can be expanded to the $280 bill in this case, since the OP seems to be in a position to pay it.

Bali Hai Again

The bigger question is one of the reasonableness of allowing a $50 (alleged) debt to go to collections in the first place. At that point, pay it (grumbling the entire time) and then be surprised if you get a refund.

The same concept can be expanded to the $280 bill in this case, since the OP seems to be in a position to pay it.
Not sure I understand your point. Is your point that any bogus bill one gets should be paid without question to avoid being sent to collections? Just shut up and pay the unreasonable bill? Sorry, I don’t agree with that. Especially bogus bills from the medical profession that are finally being subject to strict regulations.

BTW, I was never notified that the (alleged) $50 debt was being sent to collections. The timing wasn’t even close to being sent to collections. That is the type of people employed at the providers billing department.

So go ahead and send me a bogus bill and see if I pay it.

LdiJ

Not sure I understand your point. Is your point that any bogus bill one gets should be paid without question to avoid being sent to collections? Just shut up and pay the unreasonable bill? Sorry, I don’t agree with that. Especially bogus bills from the medical profession that are finally being subject to strict regulations.

BTW, I was never notified that the (alleged) $50 debt was being sent to collections. The timing wasn’t even close to being sent to collections. That is the type of people employed at the providers billing department.

So go ahead and send me a bogus bill and see if I pay it.
I tend to agree with you on this one Bali. There are quite a few people though who are of the mindset that it is better to pay smaller bills than deal with the hassle, which is what a lot of creditors count on.

Zigner

I tend to agree with you on this one Bali. There are quite a few people though who are of the mindset that it is better to pay smaller bills than deal with the hassle, which is what a lot of creditors count on.
Ultimately, it's a business decision. If I spend more than about half an hour on the matter, then it's easier to pay it. Really.

quincy

Several months ago my daughter saw a doctor for several appointments and I disputed some of the charges (I can provide more explanation if needed). So i paid the doctor bills only partially, not paying for the charges that I disputed.

Now they passed those to a debt collector who contacted me. It is a fairly small amount ($280) which I could settle, but I want to fight because I think it is not right.
I replied to the debt collector with a Response Letter, which I found online. I requested the following:

1. Agreement with the creditor that authorizes you to collect on this alleged debt
  2. The agreement bearing my signature stating that I have agreed to assume the debt
  3. An itemized breakdown with the service type, date of services and corresponding amounts of what you claim the money is owed for
  4. Valid copies of the debt agreement stating the amount of the debt and interest charges
  5. Proof that the Statute of Limitations has not expired
  6. Complete payment history on this account along with an accounting of all additional charges being assessed
  7. Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state; and
  8. Your license numbers and Registered Agent

The debt collector responded by sending me only a breakdown of the charges (so basically item 3) but he failed to respond to any of the other requests.
How do you suggest me to proceed?

Thanks
Okay, GiorgioP. Explaining why you are disputing some of the charges might actually be helpful. :)

Like Zigner, I probably would have paid the small claimed debt (to prevent or to stop all collection activity) and then I would try to resolve the matter directly with the doctor’s office.

If your dispute is a legitimate one (e.g., double billing, charged for service not performed), you might have a better chance of convincing the doctor’s office to refund the amount than you could expect to have trying to get the debt collector to erase the debt.

LdiJ

Ultimately, it's a business decision. If I spend more than about half an hour on the matter, then it's easier to pay it. Really.
And that is absolutely a decision that you have every right to make, for you. It is a bit arrogant however, to assume that it is a decision that is right for everyone else, particularly those whose incomes might be more limited than yours.

Zigner

And that is absolutely a decision that you have every right to make, for you. It is a bit arrogant however, to assume that it is a decision that is right for everyone else, particularly those whose incomes might be more limited than yours.
Slow down there. The OP clearly stated that he had the means to pay the debt. No arrogance is involved.

LdiJ

Slow down there. The OP clearly stated that he had the means to pay the debt. No arrogance is involved.
You didn't get my point. Just because you believe that for you it's better to go ahead and pay if it takes you more than 1/2 hour to deal with it does not mean that everyone else should automatically have the same opinion. It is perfectly fine for you to feel that way for you. It is just not fine for you to assume that is best for everyone else.

Bali Hai Again

Okay, GiorgioP. Explaining why you are disputing some of the charges might actually be helpful. :)

Like Zigner, I probably would have paid the small claimed debt (to prevent or to stop all collection activity) and then I would try to resolve the matter directly with the doctor’s office.

If your dispute is a legitimate one (e.g., double billing, charged for service not performed), you might have a better chance of convincing the doctor’s office to refund the amount than you could expect to have trying to get the debt collector to erase the debt.
I agree, OP won’t get anywhere trying to deal with the debt collector. IF they have insurance, contact the company and understand what claims are covered, copays, deductibles are in place. And have the insurance company explain all this. If no insurance contact a consumer protection agency and file a claim. Medical bills are complicated and if one understands the rational behind the bill, they will feel better about paying.

quincy

I agree, OP won’t get anywhere trying to deal with the debt collector. IF they have insurance, contact the company and understand what claims are covered, copays, deductibles are in place. And have the insurance company explain all this. If no insurance contact a consumer protection agency and file a claim. Medical bills are complicated and if one understands the rational behind the bill, they will feel better about paying.
I don’t see any reason for a consumer protection agency to be involved - at least, not based on the limited amount of information we have been given so far.

Zigner

You didn't get my point. Just because you believe that for you it's better to go ahead and pay if it takes you more than 1/2 hour to deal with it does not mean that everyone else should automatically have the same opinion. It is perfectly fine for you to feel that way for you. It is just not fine for you to assume that is best for everyone else.
I got your general point. I simply took exception to the accusation that I was being "arrogant." I was not assuming that something was best for "everyone else," rather, I was making a specific statement relating to this matter (more precisely, the matter that Bali brought up).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">