• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shellny

What is the name of your state? New York

A friend of mine was recently divorced. During the separation proceedings, the ex-wife made allegations of abuse to friends, neighbors etc and filed for a protection order which was NOT granted.

My friend is worried about his history as he has numerous security clearances and even though the order of protection wasn't granted, they could still see that one was filed. He is concerned that this could affect his career.

Does he have any recourse? He wants to sue her but I'm not sure if he could recover.

Any advice very much appreciated!!!

K

krispenstpeter

tell him to forget it and move on. It's a non issue for security clearances and happens all the time in divorce proceedings.

dequeendistress

I am in agreement with Krispy, but also wanted to point out the more attention he pays to the situation the more attention it will receive...move on

B

booboop

almost similar question

I was arrested for a small traffic violation, in which a local tabloid, in its story only printed a few facts, the remainder of the story was flat out false. These falsely reported facts have caused my employers to mistrust me. I have contacted the papers editor to simply ask him to print a retraction and print ALL of the facts, but he refused. Is there anything I can do, I hold a "top" secret clearance and do not want my career affected, only because a pig headed editor will not do the right thing? :eek:

shellny

Thanks for your replies!!!

He just takes his clearance very, very, very seriously. It's for dept of defense, FEMA etc. and he doesn't want anything jeopardized

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">