• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I have been separated from my ex since 2007. I have a current boyfriend. To make post shorter I will refer to My ex as E and my current boyfriend as B.
I have lived in a separate household from E since 2007. He has a family also. Me and B have assets jointly owned together. I also make significantly more than E although he chooses not to work which is one reason I left.

My question is how does length of time affect alimony and assets.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I have been separated from my ex since 2007. I have a current boyfriend. To make post shorter I will refer to My ex as E and my current boyfriend as B.
I have lived in a separate household from E since 2007. He has a family also. Me and B have assets jointly owned together. I also make significantly more than E although he chooses not to work which is one reason I left.

To clarify: You are still married to your husband?
If so, why haven't you divorced yet? Are you legally separated or just not living together?

PayrollHRGuy

When did you marry your E?

I will say that if you and he have gotten along without alimony since 2007 I don't see a judge granting it now.

To clarify: You are still married to your husband?
If so, why haven't you divorced yet? Are you legally separated or just not living together?
Yes. Legally separated and he keeps jumping states so its been really difficult to track him and it took me a long time to be in a position to be able to afford a divorce.

adjusterjack

Me and B have assets jointly owned together.
You've made a terrible mistake waiting 15 years to address this. Whatever those assets are, you can bet he will want 50% of the current value/equity. If you own a home jointly, that could be considerable.

If you balk at 50% you end up in court, making lawyers happy along the way.

he keeps jumping states so its been really difficult to track him
Get to a divorce lawyer.

The longer you wait, the more it's going to cost you.

The lawyer will be able to track him for process service. If unable to find him, the lawyer can seek permission of the court for alternate means of service.

Did you and your husband make any babies?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Setting aside $5 per week gets you enough to pay for a divorce in 2 years or less. I stand by my comment.

adjusterjack

So me and my ex own nothing together. And the kids are over 18.
I misread your first post.

A divorce will be cheap and easy. If you can't find him to serve him, you can ask the court for permission to serve by publication and get divorced by default.

You might not need a lawyer. Divorce courts often have forms and instructions.

zddoodah

I have been separated from my ex since 2007.
I assume "my ex" means your husband.

With a 15 year separation, it would be awfully surprising if the court awarded anyone alimony or ordered any sort of division of property other than you keep what's in your possession and your husband keeps what's in his possession.

Yes. Legally separated
So...you have a court judgment of legal separation? A lot of folks don't understand what "legal separation" means. A legal separation is an alternative to divorce typically sought by folks who have a religious objection to divorce or in situations where one spouse needs to remain on the other spouse's medical insurance. If, in fact, you have a legal separation, did the court order alimony, and what provisions were made by property division.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So...you have a court judgment of legal separation?
That would be my question as well (I missed this statement by the OP earlier). OP claims to not be able to afford a divorce, but was able to afford a legal separation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">