• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Durable power of attorney question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amo1977

Agreed, I think we need to talk to them. Im not proposing the wording, thats how it is worded. My sister is as much of a problem as he is. We have vastly different view points, and its to long to discuss. Oh, I know 2 signatures on everything is a pain. I used to be a board treasurer. We didn't meat very often and didn't have much business to discuss. It would have been way simpiler for me to just write a check and be done with it!

Really didn't come up with a plan, but thanks for both of your imputs.

commentator

Though this may be a short duration problem with your mom the age she is, I would strongly encourage you to see that attorney and get this stuff established more specifically very quickly. I will tell you what will likely happen with your mom. She won't want to fight or disagree with either one of you. When she's being talked to, driven around, taken places by sister and husband, she'll agree to whatever they want her to agree to, up to and including signing papers that give them complete control (and believe me, I have seen this happen!)

And then when you start to question her, she 'won't remember' because she doesn't want to get into a confrontation with either of you. In other words, she is in a prime place and very vulnerable to being bullied and coerced.

Do not be surprised, if and when you ask her to come with you and talk to an attorney, even though you tell your sister (and unfortunately, she will want to include bully boy in this too if you don't insist he not be involved) about such a meeting and ask her to be present, you are then accused of trying to do this very thing. Your sister will probably tell your mom that YOU are trying to get your hands on everything and exclude her. And your mom will retreat into "I don't want to make either of you mad at me. I remember nothing! I don't want to change anything!"

But unless you are willing to step in now, before your mother declines any more, do not be surprised if she at some point is not talked into what they have already tried, in other words, "We're going to take charge of your situation, mom, ammo (you) doesn't want to be involved!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">