• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guilty/conviction set aside and case dismissed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shiva007

What is the name of your state?
California.
I served one year probation and attended a theft class. My case upon completion of 1 year probationary period has the verbage.." guilty/conviction set aside and case dismissed". The form was accompanied by a letter from my attorney stating that the case was dismissed in its entirty.

What does it all this mean? Am I in the clear and my recird is now clean ?

Thanks for your help. I have been through hell and it's not easy getting the right answers. Do I now need to go through an expungement/sealing process? I'm concerned about all of this showing up when applying for a job. I made a terrible mistake at a very low point in my life and it was my first conviction at 62 years of age. Worst time I have ever gone through. Self forgiveness has been the hardest.

quincy

California.
I served one year probation and attended a theft class. My case upon completion of 1 year probationary period has the verbage.." guilty/conviction set aside and case dismissed". The form was accompanied by a letter from my attorney stating that the case was dismissed in its entirty.

What does it all this mean? Am I in the clear and my recird is now clean ?

Thanks for your help. I have been through hell and it's not easy getting the right answers. Do I now need to go through an expungement/sealing process? I'm concerned about all of this showing up when applying for a job. I made a terrible mistake at a very low point in my life and it was my first conviction at 62 years of age. Worst time I have ever gone through. Self forgiveness has been the hardest.
Your best source of information is your attorney.

The satisfaction of the terms of your probation needs to be recorded with the court.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/42539.htm

quincy

Thank You. I will go to court and check into this. My attorney is hard to get hold of and never returns calls. Though I'm grateful for what he did.
Once your records are sealed, they will still be available for viewing by some government agencies but they should not show up on most standard employment background checks.

After you complete the sealing process, it can be smart to do your own background checks on, and internet searches of, yourself to see what appears. An arrest, for example, might have made its way to news articles and there is often little you can do about that.

Good luck.

zddoodah

My case upon completion of 1 year probationary period has the verbage.." guilty/conviction set aside and case dismissed".
What does "My case . . . has the verbage [sic]" mean? Where exactly are you seeing this verbiage? Also, is there a Penal Code section cited anywhere in this verbiage?

quincy

California.
..." guilty/conviction set aside and case dismissed". The form was accompanied by a letter from my attorney stating that the case was dismissed in its entirty.

What does it all this mean? Am I in the clear and my recird is now clean ? …
What will no doubt be easiest for you is to get ahold of your attorney - even if this means setting up an appointment with him - and have your attorney explain to you what exactly has been done with the case dismissal. It is possible (even likely) that the probation office has reported that you satisfied all terms of probation to your attorney and the court. The attorney can help you in sealing the arrest and court records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">