• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it PERSONAL INJURY or a combination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JonStan89

I was incarcerated in early June this year. I have a history of epilepsy and seizures and being on medication for the epilepsy. The jail I was incarcerated in knows this history and has everything in their medical records including the medication I take because they gave it to me every time I was in there, except for this last time in June. So while I was in there I kept asking for my medicine and they kept refusing to give it to me with a variety of different reasons. So their refusal to give me my medication resulted in a horrible seizure in which my shoulder dislocated before I fell and then when I fell on it my humorous bone was slammed against my shoulder socket and created a compound fracture. I was immediately sent to a small hospital nearby and then sent to a big hospital for emergency surgery. And I have been trying to recover since then. Due to the jails refusal of proper medical care physical injury and suffering occurred along with extreme financial stress due to the inability to work for recovery.

What do you guys think???

JonStan89

What is the name of your state? Where are you incarcerated?
I’m not currently incarcerated anymore because they released me immediately after the accident happened. And it happened in Iowa. And I was incarcerated in Story County Jail.

quincy

I’m not currently incarcerated anymore because they released me immediately after the accident happened. And it happened in Iowa. And I was incarcerated in Story County Jail.
Thank you for answering my questions, JonStan.

You could speak with a civil rights attorney in your area to discuss the possibility of filing a suit for inadequate prisoner medical care.

You mentioned in your first post that the jail knows your medical history because you were given the medication “every time I was in there.” You were a frequent guest of the jail?

Did the jail have your prescription medicine on hand or did the jail have to get it from your prescribing physician? Were there any changes in either your prescription or your doctor that would have made it difficult to get you your medicine?

Just Blue

I was incarcerated in early June this year. I have a history of epilepsy and seizures and being on medication for the epilepsy. The jail I was incarcerated in knows this history and has everything in their medical records including the medication I take because they gave it to me every time I was in there, except for this last time in June. So while I was in there I kept asking for my medicine and they kept refusing to give it to me with a variety of different reasons. So their refusal to give me my medication resulted in a horrible seizure in which my shoulder dislocated before I fell and then when I fell on it my humorous bone was slammed against my shoulder socket and created a compound fracture. I was immediately sent to a small hospital nearby and then sent to a big hospital for emergency surgery. And I have been trying to recover since then. Due to the jails refusal of proper medical care physical injury and suffering occurred along with extreme financial stress due to the inability to work for recovery.

What do you guys think???
Why are you jailed so often? Stop it.

IMO you should take your records to a reputable attorney for a consult.

JonStan89

Thank you for answering my questions, JonStan.

You could speak with a civil rights attorney in your area to discuss the possibility of filing a suit for inadequate prisoner medical care.

You mentioned in your first post that the jail knows your medical history because you were given the medication “every time I was in there.” You were a frequent guest of the jail?

Did the jail have your prescription medicine on hand or did the jail have to get it from your prescribing physician? Were there any changes in either your prescription or your doctor that would have made it difficult to get you your medicine?
Well for one I’m on probation and I ended up getting a charge against me and so yes I have been there a few times. And yes they did have my medication on hand and even if they didn’t they would have been able to get it from my prescribing physician right away seeing as my physician is located at the same medical facility that they go through. And no there wasn’t any changes in my medications or doctor at all.

JonStan89

Why are you jailed so often? Stop it.

IMO you should take your records to a reputable attorney for a consult.
I already have taken it to a reputable lawyer and they have a meeting tomorrow and my case is going to be brought up to see if they would be willing to take on my case seeing as they are located out of state but are able to practice and represent in other states if the cases are big enough. And on the topic of why I was incarcerated so often shouldn’t be a factor and you shouldn’t judge if you don’t know the circumstances or details.

quincy

Well for one I’m on probation and I ended up getting a charge against me and so yes I have been there a few times. And yes they did have my medication on hand and even if they didn’t they would have been able to get it from my prescribing physician right away seeing as my physician is located at the same medical facility that they go through. And no there wasn’t any changes in my medications or doctor at all.
Thank you once again for answering my questions.

You will want copies of all of your medical records, including those from the jail and the hospital. In order to have a claim that has a good chance of success, you must be able to link your injuries to the jail’s negligence. The attorney you see can walk you through the process.

Did the County pay your initial hospital costs?

JonStan89

Thank you once again for answering my questions.

You will want copies of all of your medical records, including those from the jail and the hospital. In order to have a claim that has a good chance of success, you must be able to link your injuries to the jail’s negligence. The attorney you see can walk you through the process.

Did the County pay your initial hospital costs?
No they didn’t. And I’ve already called the jail to see about obtaining all of my medical records and they told me that I would have to send a release of information to obtain my own records. Which I don’t understand why I would have to sign a release of information to obtain my own records.

quincy

No they didn’t. And I’ve already called the jail to see about obtaining all of my medical records and they told me that I would have to send a release of information to obtain my own records. Which I don’t understand why I would have to sign a release of information to obtain my own records.
By law, both the County and the hospital need to protect the privacy of your medical information. A release signed by you (the patient) is required and would be standard practice.

You might have a good case for getting all of your medical expenses paid for by the County but the attorney you speak with tomorrow can give you a better idea of what you can realistically expect from a lawsuit, based on the facts.

Good luck.

JonStan89

By law, both the County and the hospital need to protect the privacy of your medical information. A release signed by you (the patient) is required and would be standard practice.

You might have a good case for getting all of your medical expenses paid for by the County but the attorney you speak with tomorrow can give you a better idea of what you can realistically expect from a lawsuit, based on the facts.

Good luck.
Thanks.

quincy

You’re welcome, JonStan. I appreciate the thanks.

I hope you have a full and rapid recovery from your injuries.

And, if the out-of-state lawyer you speak to does not feel yours is a case he/his firm can take on, don’t be discouraged. An out-of-state attorney would be looking at greater expenses. You should be able to find an attorney in Iowa who can handle the legal action for you.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">