• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Realtor Leads Service Doesn't have refund policy, is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Quote the text of that email word for word.

We'll be the judge of that.

How naive. Do you really think that's a defense to a defamation lawsuit?
It is not smart to quote here (or anywhere) a potentially defamatory email. That only works to increase the harm that can come from the original publication.

quantcook should have the text personally reviewed by an attorney in his area.

quantcook

Quote the text of that email word for word.

'The MSA says they will not refund your money in any case. I didn't receive any leads for the area I set'

We'll be the judge of that.

How naive. Do you really think that's a defense to a defamation lawsuit?
why it's defamation when i'm simply giving out fact.

adjusterjack

You say it's fact. The lead service says it's defamation. You may have a valid defense, but you'll spend tens of thousands on a lawyer fighting the lawsuit.

I'll bet your "facts" are stated in terms that make the lead service the bad guy without mentioning your lack of due diligence.

quantcook

You say it's fact. The lead service says it's defamation. You may have a valid defense, but you'll spend tens of thousands on a lawyer fighting the lawsuit.

I'll bet your "facts" are stated in terms that make the lead service the bad guy without mentioning your lack of due diligence.
well, this land and laws are really wonderlands of fraud. happy to be one then.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
well, this land and laws are really wonderlands of fraud. happy to be one then.
There you go - accusing them of being frauds when the simple fact is that information was available to you had you even taken a moment to look.

I hope you give your clients more thorough service than you seem to give yourself.

quincy

It is often very hard for most people to write “pure” fact. They almost always want to embellish a bit as statements of fact rarely capture the attention or interest of a reader. And it will be these embellishments (generalizations, opinions) that open up text or speech to claims of defamation.

In addition, and as doucar pointed out, you are inserting yourself into the business relationships of others. If this interference causes harm (cancelled contracts, loss of sales), you could be sued.

Is a suit likely? Ordinarily I would say “no” but these are not ordinary times. :) People seem to be suing others with greater frequency over even minor disputes, and defamation claims seem to be a sort of go-to legal action of late.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">