• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Yes. Thx. I think he's mentally disabled. I do get all the basics of this and human behavior of a scamming thief. I was hoping there are effective ways to pressure someone to pay back a private loan a step under illicit options like hiring muscle.
You could hire an attorney in Broward County to draft and send a letter to the guy, on law firm letterhead, that advises the guy that you are considering a lawsuit and may pursue legal action against him if he does not pay you what he owes.

Sometimes attorney-letters can intimidate someone enough that they’ll pay what is owed, without having to sue to recover the money.

The downsides are that the attorney-letter has no force of law behind it, so the recipient of such a letter can legally ignore it, throw it in the trash. And the attorney you hire to draft and send the letter will cost you a couple of hundred dollars. You could find yourself out not only the $900 but also the attorney’s fees.

Gruvytune

Yes. Thx. I'm very familiar with the basic logistics. I'm trying to think outside the box. Intimidation is a good start.

quincy

Yes. Thx. I'm very familiar with the basic logistics. I'm trying to think outside the box. Intimidation is a good start.
A “scary” letter from an attorney can be a good and legal way to persuade someone to pay a debt. You can always sue later but I am afraid this will wind up costing you more than what you are hoping to collect, if you collect anything at all. The guy does not sound like he has money or assets enough to satisfy any judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">