• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Solar Contract with ESP Complaints

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomustard

What is the name of your state? California

ESP Energy Solar Partners is a company to stay away from. My brother and I just filed a complaint with the Calif State Contractors License Board. We also plan on contacting the BBB, FTC, Attorney General and others. We need to get out of this contract with them and have the defective panels removed. What are our chances of this happening? Should we hire an attorney?

Statement from Joe Teping Regarding Complaint against ESP

We have several complaints against ESP (Energy Solar Partners)

1. The system does not work at all for the past several months.. In June 2022 we are charged a total of $265 for power ($120 solar & $145 PG&E)…almost 3 times the amount we have paid for power pre-solar
2. We contacted ESP 54 times over the past year on their website…nothing was solved…yet they marked it solved each time.
3. The salesman was unregistered, rushing us through the process.
Bypassing quickly The Solar Disclosure notice.
5. Property is in both names (my sister and myself). The salesman came back the next day rushing me through it…when Joanne wasn’t there.

My sister, Joanne Teping and I, are co-owners of the property on 3735 Jago. Nowhere is her name or signature on the solar contract with esp.

I would like to give my permission in writing that Joanne Teping may act on my behalf in this contract with ESP. I am not well with two serious illnesses. I am currently being treated at UCSF for bile duct cancer. This contract with ESP has caused both of us a great deal of stress. We do not need the added stress of the financial hardship of this contract for worthless solar panels that do NOT produce at a cost of $30,000.
In March 2021, the unregistered salesman Shameer Jalil came to our door to sell us ESP Solar panels . Unknown to us at the time that a solar salesman needs to be registered with the company he represents according the the California State License board. . My sister and I just discovered this a few days ago.
Section 7154 of the Code states: "A home improvement contractor who employs a person to sell home improvement w contracts while such person is not registered by the registrar as a home improvement salesman as provided in this article [Article 10 (commencing with section 7150) of the Contractors' State 5 License Law], is subject to disciplinary action by the registrar."
"Violations of any provisions of this chapter by a home improvement salesperson, likewise constitutes a cause for disciplinary action against the contractor, whether or not he or she had knowledge of or participated in the act or omission constituting violations of this chapter."
"(5) Failure by the licensee, his or her agent or salesperson, or by a person subject to be licensed under this chapter, to provide the specified information, notices, and disclosure in the contract, or to otherwise fail to comply with any provision of this section, is cause for discipline.

Shameer Jalil made his presentation that our PG&E bills would average about $10 a month if we were to use solar and install 18 panels for $80 a month (we ended up with 15 panels at $120 a month). All of this with NO MONEY DOWN!!! We were both impressed and told him to come back later and we would consider it.

Salesman Shameer came back the next day. My sister was not here. He rushed me into signing the contract on his tablet without going over it with me. I am a 61-year-old man on disability with end-stage cirrhosis and bile duct cancer. I take Lactulose so my mind is not foggy. I have good days and bad days. On this particular day, I was feeling quite ill and the salesman took advantage of that.

One particularly relevant detail is that I was dissuaded from reading the full contract, and instead was handed a tablet and pressured to sign without reading it thoroughly.

I was “never shown the full document.” Instead, Shameer showed me the first two pages of the contract on a tablet, then flipped to the last page to get my signature agreeing to the contract. I had no idea that the contract I signed consisted of more than those three pages and I was never provided with a physical copy of the contract or physical copies of the cancellation notice until later after the three-day right to cancel had passed.

My sister returned home later and I told her what happened. She wasn’t upset because salesman Shameer made ESP Solar sound so good but we didn’t like the way he rushed me into it without giving us more time to think it over.

The installation seemed to go ok in April 2021. It was installed by two workers..one man on the ground…the other young man went on the roof to install. The total system was installed in a matter of hours.

We believe the permit was approved by the city. However, looking at the permit….it does not seem legit. See enclosed.

The first 5 months were acceptable but under what we expected our production would be. Our monthly payments were not $80 as the salesman told us. They installed 15 panels for $120 a month instead of the 18 panels for $80 a month that we had discussed.. The salesman was always in such a hurry to get it done and start “saving us a lot of money” which in reality costing us money..

The system started going bad in November 2021…my sister, Joanne reached out to ESP a total of 54 times this past year on their website. I would also contact them but the stress was causing my health to worsen. Enclosed are our latest power bills and last year's true-up.

Supervisor Scott called us in Jan. 2022 and told both of us over the phone that “our system is working as expected.” We told him it was not as expected for us per the salesman Shameer. He said “Shameer is an independent contractor. He does not work for ESP or represent our company. We are not responsible for what that salesman tells you.” Wow!!! Talk about being hit over the head. He would not even send a tech over to check it out. If your lowest production month is 20% or less then you have a problem,. Ours is only 9.2%. June was 1000kwh Dec. was 92kwh. This system is supposed to be under a 25-year warranty.

I was hospitalized in March 2022 and discovered I have bile duct cancer. During this period we ignored the solar situation because we could not take the added stress.
Joanne and I were in San Francisco for 12 days in June 2022. I underwent 3 rounds of radiation. When we came home, Joanne looked over our latest PG&E bills. May 2022 was $76 …this is what our bill usually is in May before solar. June 2022 was a total shock…our PGE was $145!!! It has NEVER been that high in June…ever. Joanne and I were gone 12 days as well. Something is seriously wrong. Joanne began to contact ESP once again. Each contact she made was marked “solved” in their bogus records as it had always been.
They have never shown us how to monitor the solar. When we try to monitor it with the app solar Edge and amp probe ..it will work for just a few minutes then kick-off. When we try it again a few minutes later there is no power coming from the inverter They have never physically come out to check the solar. Only remotely.

ESP is absolutely the worst company my sister and I have ever dealt with. If the company is missing their license, that can be a criminal offense in California, voiding the contract and my obligation to pay.
We need a resolution. The panels NEED to be removed immediately and the contract ended. California needs to protect vulnerable populations from these despicable predators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">