• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandonment???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

berry2upie

:confused: What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My husband would like to adopt my child and the father lives in Utah and has not seen his daughter since she was 1 year old she is now 6 and a half. He is 6,000 dollars behind in child support. He has said the only way he would sign his rights over if I terminate his back child support otherwise he would not sign the papers and he would try to get my daughter who he has not seen in 5 years for holidays and summer vacations. Is this considered entrapment of some sort? How serious should I take him? I refuse to send my daughter to Utah to some man she does not even know.

berry2upie

I am not on any state aid at all. I know I should get the adoption done and over with but I was a single mom not on any state aid for 2 years before I met my husband. I just don't see why he should get off easy while i waas working doubleshifts everyday for fear I was going to get evicted from my apt, paying daycare, feeding, clothing, and Dr. bills for my daughter while he ran off out west without another care in the world.

brisgirl825

berry2upie said:
I am not on any state aid at all. I know I should get the adoption done and over with but I was a single mom not on any state aid for 2 years before I met my husband. I just don't see why he should get off easy while i waas working doubleshifts everyday for fear I was going to get evicted from my apt, paying daycare, feeding, clothing, and Dr. bills for my daughter while he ran off out west without another care in the world.

That's the deal and you need to decide what's more important to you.

BelizeBreeze

OR, what's behind door number three...

Send the child to him with full custody and YOU pay child support.

How's them apples?

ksjane

I know of a similar situation, in Nebraska, where the bio-father's rights were terminated due to "circumstances that are grounds for termination" (not exactly sure which ones, but could easily find out) he too was "in arrears", his rights were terminated, adoption was finalized and he was still required to pay arrears. I do not know how this would affect your particular case considering the bio is in another state, nor do I have all the details. However, there are "circumstances" on the list of the previous website given that may or may not apply to your case. I was just confused by the fact that you were told that you couldn't get the adoption and still be owed arrears. In my opinion, I would consult an attorney with the details, several will give free consultations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">