• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandonment case??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

godsgraces

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
A former friend of mine dropped her kids off with me in 2004 and it was supposed to be short term until she got her life on track as she was going through a messy divorce. I had no contact from her for 1 year and then she reappeared wanting her kids back. Her daughter wanted to move back with her but her son was only 2 at the time and did not want to go with her. She treated the kids horribly. Her parents have legal custody of all of her children but these 2 they did not want and allowed her to keep them. We have such a strong bond and he is very much my son. I have provided him with 100% support for the past 5 years. They mother has been in and out of his life but he has so much rage and hatred for her because of her mean words and actions towards him. I would like to know how I could adopt him. Im afraid she could take him back at any time and I would have no legal rights. She is also very abusive to her other children both verbally and physically. I have receipts that prove care, doctors files where Ive always been with him, school records that document me as the parent due to his mothers abandonment and the birth father has never attempted to contact him at all. Hes contacted me to ask how am once in 5 years, but never asked about the kids. What steps should I take next?

CourtClerk

You should get a consultation with an adoption attorney first thing Tuesday morning. You should also be prepared to give her back HER child if she demands it.

This is very much HER child, not yours as you mistakenly stated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">