• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abondonment by birth mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadie680

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My emotionally/mentally disabled 11 yo stepson is in a shared custody situation. We live in Indiana and his mother lives in Bartlet TN. His father and I have been married since August 2000 and in that time his mom has made very few attempts to be part of his life. In 2000 she took him for a month in June. My husbands family lives in Olive Branch MS (not far from his mom). They are as if the live next door when it come to kiddo. Very constant in his life. Letters, calls, calls, thinking of you presents. etc.. We (up until 2 years ago) made every attempt to keep her active in his life. This was mostly on our part. We made the phone calls, we tried to make arrangements for her to see him (we offered on many occasions to make the trip there so he could have time with her). In the time he has been in my life she has sent 1 Christmas card, gifts 2 Christmas', and maybe 4 phone calls. It has been 2 years. He doesnt understand. He is Schizophrenic and bi polar. He needs routine and a loving stable environment. I would love to adopt him. I am concerned for his well being. We were completely up front with her about his disabilities. His therapist believes it would be in his best interest for us to go to court and have her rights taken away. He talks to me alot about his mom. He asks me questions I cannot answer. He is angry at her. I always try to be sympathetic, understanding. We have never and never will say anything negative to him or in front of him about her. She is his mom, for better or worse. Sometimes I think if she didnt have the rights of visitation the court gave her, we could as a family move forward and focus on the future. I mean it isnt like she is taking advantage of her visitation. Prior to him and his dad moving here she only wanted him once or twice a year for a week...a week that ended 2-3 days after she took him. I have a 21 yo son. If we were seperated I would do everything in my power to stay in touch. Letters if I couldnt call, heck letters even if I could call! I could not ever forget his birthday, Christmas or any other holiday..I wouldnt need a holiday to show him I love him. He would be in my heart and he would know by my actions how much I loved and missed him. I am not sure what I am looking for as far as posting this. I think we are moving forward as family. i think I feel like her visitation is hanging over our heads. What happens when she (if she) calls and says i want him this summer? We cant tell her no. We can ask her to work with us for him. someone give me some advice, suggestions...encouragement...direction?? Hasnt she by her actions givin up on him?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And considering that 4 of the 5 posts are related....

Sadie... your husband's situation is complicated enough that he would be best served by speaking with a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">