• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adopt spouse kids without child support obligations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiley53032

we live in wisconsin, and are presently filing 4 abandonment on my fiancees 2 childrens mother, who hasnt seen them in over a year n a half. we are planning on getting married in the spring, and i want to adopt the kids just in case something would happen to their father. i have been mom to them for 2 years now, n their biological mom is basically a worthless drunk who hasnt even attempted to visit in over a year in a half.at the time we have full placement of them. what we are wondering is if there is a way to have a prenupt that if i where to adopt the kids and we would end up divorced(which i dont ever 4see happening), that i wouldnt be responcible for childsupport.their father doesnt feel that it would be fair to me to have that obligation if we wouldnt be together.if anyone knows if this is possible,or legal, please let us know.and also the propper channels we would take to get it done.. thanx

TinkerBelleLuvr

When you adopt the children, they now become YOUR children. Why wouldn't you want to support YOUR children? It's like being sorta pregnant. You either are, or you're not. You either are their parent, or you are not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
we live in wisconsin, and are presently filing 4 abandonment on my fiancees 2 childrens mother, who hasnt seen them in over a year n a half. we are planning on getting married in the spring, and i want to adopt the kids just in case something would happen to their father. i have been mom to them for 2 years now, n their biological mom is basically a worthless drunk who hasnt even attempted to visit in over a year in a half.at the time we have full placement of them. what we are wondering is if there is a way to have a prenupt that if i where to adopt the kids and we would end up divorced(which i dont ever 4see happening), that i wouldnt be responcible for childsupport.their father doesnt feel that it would be fair to me to have that obligation if we wouldnt be together.if anyone knows if this is possible,or legal, please let us know.and also the propper channels we would take to get it done.. thanx
You would be better off NOT adopting these children. You obviously don't feel that you can love them as your own...
In fact, I suggest that you reconsider the marriage since you are planning for the divorce before you're even married.

Just Blue

You are not the children's mother. You do not have "full placement" of these children. Your name does NOT appear on the custody order as a party to this situation. You are the children's father girlfriend. Period.

The fact that you are posting this question tells me that you are not interested in the children's best interest. A potential adopted parent does not try and squirm out of supporting the children in ANY circumstance.

momofrose

I am VERY confused - if you adopt these kids (and you would not be able to do that until after you have been married for at least a year) - then you would be their mother - if you and their father got divorced, why would you assume they would go live with their father and hyou p ay child support - you would be their mother so if you did get divorced it is also possible that you get the kids and he pays support.

The deal is - if you want to be a mommy then you need to be a mommy and take on all obligations that come with that during the marriage and after if it fails.

You shoud not adopt these children - your heart is not in it (as can be told by your post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">