• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopt without paying thousands!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ted&carole

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi,We are taking care of our grandson for 4 and half years now. We have full custody,How can we adopt without having the parents signing papers. The parents have abandon their child, left the state without telling anyone to live in other state.We are looking to adopt him without paying alot of money. We do not collect child support because the father dosent want anything to do with him and the mother is collecting disablity.The mother is going to school and is on medication for skitso (spellcheck),its going on 3 years now and she hasent even tried to be his mother.

please reply A.S.A.P
Thank You for reading this thread!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ted&carole said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Hi,We are taking care of our grandson for 4 and half years now. We have full custody,How can we adopt without having the parents signing papers. The parents have abandon their child, left the state without telling anyone to live in other state.We are looking to adopt him without paying alot of money. We do not collect child support because the father dosent want anything to do with him and the mother is collecting disablity.The mother is going to school and is on medication for skitso (spellcheck),its going on 3 years now and she hasent even tried to be his mother.

please reply A.S.A.P
Thank You for reading this thread!
The parents are going to have to have their rights terminated either voluntarily relinquishing them or you are going to have to fight. it may take thousands of dollars. Or it may not. What do you mean you have full custody?Who gave you full custody?

momofrose

Please consult with an attorney - you do not want to mess this up - adoption is a VERY dot your i's cross your t's type of law.

I am not sure of the laws on New York regarding abandonment..but an attorney would and I am sure you can get a good consultation for free.

It really will take a few thousand dollars to get this legalized.

Good luck to you.

D

Ted&carole

Thank you everyone for taking your time! The parents signed him over with no problem juss a few court dates, Do we realy need a attorney.....they left without saying bye and never paid childsupport, The parents dont even try to keep contact with their son and now since we brought up that we wanna adopt him, The mother wants to come and take care of him when she cant, she hasent changed.

momofrose

Ted&carole said:
and now since we brought up that we wanna adopt him, The mother wants to come and take care of him when she cant, she hasent changed.
I don;t know what this means...did they sign over their parental rights or not? Sounds to me like they are keeping in touch somewhat- you stated that you "brought up that you want to adopt him"...

Yes - You MUST get an attorney - adoptions must be done correctly.

D

mb94

Do the parents have still have their parental rights or were they signed over or terminated? Until you know the answer to this question nobody can help you.

If the parental rights have not been terminated then this could be a costly effort. Especially if the Mom has turned her life around (going to school and being on medication).

Silverplum

You know, Ted&carole, I'd like a lot of things AND not have to pay for them!

I'd like a new furnace and air conditioner -- do you know anyone who will give them to me and install them for me, and do a good job?

I'd like a vacation to someplace sunny and beachy. Actually, I'm going to someplace beachy this summer....maybe the gas stations along the way will give me free gasoline? And the restaurants will feed us as we go along our merry way? And the hotels will be glad to put us up gratis, with our 3 fun dogs!

Do you understand my point? You are going to have to spend the money on an attorney if you want to adopt this kid and have him legally settled forever as your boy, safe and sound. It'll be worth it, don't you think? :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">