• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adopted parents wants to know if bio grandparents have any rights to ex grand kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gautreaut1

What is the name of your state? Mississsippi
I adopted 2 boys 2 years ago and would like to know if the bio mothers parents (ex grandparents) of children I adopted 2 years ago can force me to to let him see them. The grandfather decided on his own that since I don't let the bio mother see the boys that he didn't want to see them either. I don't let the bio mother see them because it upsets the 8 year old boy when she said we will do this and don't show up and things like that. I guess the grandfather changed his mind and turned around and said he was contacting his lawyer to get his grandparents right. He said he can see them any time he wants and I can't stop him or stand in his way. He then said well I never saw the adoption papers so I think you did not adopt them. What I want to know does he have any rights since I adopted them. I hope he is barking up a wrong tree and he has no rights. Should I get a restraining order on him to keep him away from the boys if he has no rights. His elevator doesn't go to the top floor. Very upset in Mississippi
Thanks for any info

BelizeBreeze

If you went through a legal adoption with the court then NO ONE has any rights to the children (whether it be visitation or other) except you or who you designate to have rights.

So, did you formally adopt through the courts?

C

Carlyle

Have you considered allowing the children to have the mother that they know is their biological mother to see her under different circumstances. Perhaps you can just not tell the boy that mom said she was coming so if she doesn't show it doesn't effect the boy. Obviously he loves her or he wouldn't care whether or not she showed up. You as the adult can control what info he has and if you don't tell him she is coming, he would not be dissappointed. You will then show how much you love him by supporting his love for the mother he came from. This might be about you feeling threatened.

As for the grandfather, unless he will harm the children, you should allow them to know how much their bio-family loves them and allow them to know that adoption didn't end the bond that they feel towards these special lovable children. Perhaps, supervised visitation could be an arranged.

The law isn't the only guide for you in this. You must consider how a child can feel rejected when their bio-family chooses not to be a part of thier life, and if they (the bios) aren't choosing it, and you are, someday the children might feel that YOU kept them from a family that loved and wanted them. That would make your relationship suffer.

Just some thoughts.

BelizeBreeze

The law isn't the only guide for you in this.
BullCrap. Once adoption is completed there ARE no biological relatives. Plain and simple.
Did you lose your way and come here instead of Oprah.com? :rolleyes:

C

Carlyle

You said---- Once adoption is completed there ARE no biological relatives. Plain and simple.

Plain and simple? You've got to be joking. NO BIOLOGICAL RELATIVES? I must have missed that day in science class. Last time I checked legal documents, especially the falsified ones that are created in an adoption don't change the laws of nature. I think nature trump man's laws every time. Notice no matter how illegal murder is you can still do it if you squeeze hard enough.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Birth certificates that are a result of an adoption are not falsified. It would seem that *you* have a serious issue with adoption - one you should address in therapy. The majority of folks who open their hearts and homes to children not related by blood are good and loving people.

C

Carlyle

It is a falsified document when a birth cerificate says---------Birth Mother--Jane Blah Blah age 26 2nd live birth
Birth Father--Joe Blah Blah age 27

When in fact the birth parents were two other people. How is that not legalized falsification of documents?

I don't need therapy. I need laws that reflect the rights of adoptees.

I agree that adopters are most often good and loving people. How does that effect an adoptee right to get the truth about their birth?

Have you ever seen an adoptee birth certificate?

djohnson

Carlyle said:
Have you considered allowing the children to have the mother that they know is their biological mother to see her under different circumstances. Perhaps you can just not tell the boy that mom said she was coming so if she doesn't show it doesn't effect the boy. Obviously he loves her or he wouldn't care whether or not she showed up. You as the adult can control what info he has and if you don't tell him she is coming, he would not be dissappointed. You will then show how much you love him by supporting his love for the mother he came from. This might be about you feeling threatened.

As for the grandfather, unless he will harm the children, you should allow them to know how much their bio-family loves them and allow them to know that adoption didn't end the bond that they feel towards these special lovable children. Perhaps, supervised visitation could be an arranged.

The law isn't the only guide for you in this. You must consider how a child can feel rejected when their bio-family chooses not to be a part of thier life, and if they (the bios) aren't choosing it, and you are, someday the children might feel that YOU kept them from a family that loved and wanted them. That would make your relationship suffer.

Just some thoughts.

You need to get off this site. This is for legal advice not your Oprah today personally feelings that are still wrong. This is the second thread that you have hi jacked to sound stupid. This mother has the legal right to do whatever SHE wants to do about letting whomever SHE pleases see, or not see these children.

There is obviously reasons the bio mom does not have them and she should no be rewarded for it by having say so and upsetting her children. You speak so closed mindedly without taking into account each situation. You are getting on my last nerve.

BelizeBreeze

Carlyle said:
It is a falsified document when a birth cerificate says---------Birth Mother--Jane Blah Blah age 26 2nd live birth
Birth Father--Joe Blah Blah age 27

When in fact the birth parents were two other people. How is that not legalized falsification of documents?

I don't need therapy. I need laws that reflect the rights of adoptees.

I agree that adopters are most often good and loving people. How does that effect an adoptee right to get the truth about their birth?

Have you ever seen an adoptee birth certificate?
I would strongly advise you to take the suggest you've been given. Otherwise, ....well let's just say you will find out. :eek:

In a perfect world, you could let the kids see bio mom and the grandparents as Carlyle suggests. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world.

Bio mom doesn't have those kids for a reason. When the adoption went through you became their only parent(s). Just because the kids love her doesn't mean it's in their best interest to be involved with her. Think about what is healthy for them and for your family unit.

As for the grandparents, it's ultimately up to you whether you will allow them to see the kids, but don't let them intimidate you into doing something that you don't feel is right.. Given the hostility and threats made by grandpa, I'd be more than a little concerned (I recommend documenting everything so that if he decides to pursue it, you have proof of threats, etc).

What type of relationship did the kids have with the grandparents before you adopted them? I'm guessing not too solid, otherwise wouldn't you think THEY could have adopted them? I'm thinking if you felt good about the grandparents seeing the kids, you wouldn't be here. So go with your heart and your instincts.

C

Carlyle

BelizeBreeze said:
I would strongly advise you to take the suggest you've been given. Otherwise, ....well let's just say you will find out. :eek:

Are you the moderator. If so and I am being out of line, please let me know. I didn't realize that this was such a sensitive place. Again, I just meant to offer some advice, that at times it is not the law that should dictate, but the true interest of the child, long-term. I can't see what I have said that is out of line. I think representation, by a lawyer, for all parties involved is best. That isn't wrong, is it? I hope you aren't threatening me, I am not meaning any harm. Again if you are the moderator and want me off please let me know and I'll go.

djohnson

This is not such a sensitive place, it is a legal site for legal advice. Your personal opinion has no benefits here. If your personal beliefs were backed up with facts and not emotion, it would still be better. You are just showing a closed minded point of view and you keep changing that view.

BelizeBreeze

I guess you won't be graduating then if you don't know the process of adoption nor the state statute requirements for such. Adoption requires the termination of all parental rights. And since Grandparents have no intrinsic rights to begin with, only rights flowing from the parents (or have you not read Troxel yet) once the parent's rights are severed, the grandparents have no standing to challenge.

Now, go back and take your first year again. :rolleyes:

C

Carlyle

NO DUH!!!! Notice that I said she should CONSIDER these things and that I was refering to issues of 'best interest' not law. Was your suggestion to pull the hair of a teacher law based? You are so very weak. I wish you the best of luck posting your vast depths of knowledge to the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

BelizeBreeze

Carlyle said:
NO DUH!!!! Notice that I said she should CONSIDER these things and that I was refering to issues of 'best interest' not law. Was your suggestion to pull the hair of a teacher law based? You are so very weak. I wish you the best of luck posting your vast depths of knowledge to the world.

QUOTE]
In other words, you have no conception of the law of adoption, Troxel nor the legal definition of 'best interest' as it applies to the Mississippi statutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">