• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoptee's Right to Birth Certificate in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pdjok8

I was born 7/28/1955 in Los Angeles, CA. I would like to obtain my original birth certificate. My mother's maiden surname is Sanders and she was 17 years old at the time of my birth. She is of English/German descent. Ben Hoffman, representative for The Adoption Institute of Los Angeles handled the adoption. DECREE OF ADOPTION was granted 5/24/1955 (#AD 34020). The attorneys listed on the court papers are :

Butterworth & Smith
Suite B, Stock Exchange Bldg.
618 South Spring Street
Los Angeles,14, California
Trinity 3141

What steps do I need to take to do this? I have already gone through a search agency which wanted to charge me $500. I feel it is my birth right to have my real birth certificate. I have children of my own and would like to have medical background information. It is not of great importance that I meet my biological parents.

R

ROBINRAZ

Hi, I am an adoptee that located my biological parents. I found the most help from a group called the Adoption Network. Although I live in OH, I know that there is a certain year that is the cut off for getting an original birth certificate. Have you tried this in your state? There is a web site http://www.ADOPTIONETWORK.ORG that gives a list of search groups. Many of these are free, you have to do your own research but they tell you where to get the information you need. Also, there is the International soundex reunion regestry that is out of Carson City, NV. All search groups will tell you to register there first. It is a free service that you fill out their form with all of the information that you have, if one of your birthparents resistered with them as well, and the information matches, you will be notified. There are many groups out there that can help you with your situation. You really are not alone. I used to go to meetings that were held at mostly libraries. You may want to go through your phone book, look for a adoption support group or try your libraries and see if they are holding any of these meetings.

If you have any questions, feel free to write back

lauriedunfield

OBC access in California

California only allows adult adoptees their original birth certificates via court order, with "good and compelling cause." It is extremely rare that obc access is granted. There is no specifications with regard to age cutoffs in California.
There is a movement in California to change the law, restoring access by adult adoptees to their original birth certificates. Visit http://www.calopen.org. You may also want to check out http://www.*******s.org. ******* nation is a national adoptee rights organization. Calopen is specific to California only.

nextwife

And do be prepared for the fact that having an original BC is no guarantee of access to any medical info.

For example, my hubby is NOT adopted, but his dad died three months before his birth, and his remaining fmaily is in another nation and unavailable. He has never had access to paternal medical history.

My daughter's original BC (she was adopted at 25 months old) does not name ANY father at all, and her monther abandoned her and disappeared. Biomom is not in the US.

Last edited:

nextwife

Yikes!!!! I didn't even look at the original post, just the "last one".

No excuse - just not enough coffee, I guess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">