• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting an adult already on some visa status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Susan57

What is the name of your state? California

I am 57, cacusian, single woman living in California. I know a person who has come here as a transfer student from Bangladesh. we know each other for about a year now, he is caring and loving, just like the son I wished for. I intend to adopt him. He is 23, single, and has a sister and parents back home which are willing to maintain full contacts with me and their son after adoption.

I am not greatly involved with laws and legal matters. My queries are ... ...

1. Is the adoption possible?
2. Is there any of citizenship acts which will allow the child(adult-child of course) to continue his stay with me and award him citizenship? He is already immigrated as a transfer student.. ... will this make him citizen immediately allowing him all rights just like me?
3. If yes, will there be any treaty possible which allows him to live with me but still maintain contact with family and having parental warmth from both ends.

It's more like unconditional sharing of that son with his family but he still lives here and cares me.

I will be obliged if somebody explain me the matter in legal terms and applicable laws.
I will be glad if someone suggest a good way out.

Waiting for responses. I hope I will get something very useful from ya'll.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
1. Is the adoption possible?
Yes.

2. Is there any of citizenship acts which will allow the child(adult-child of course) to continue his stay with me and award him citizenship? He is already immigrated as a transfer student.. ... will this make him citizen immediately allowing him all rights just like me?
No. Adult adoption is not an end run around Immigration laws. He'll have to wait to become a citizen like any other immigrant.

3. If yes, will there be any treaty possible which allows him to live with me but still maintain contact with family and having parental warmth from both ends.
As an adult, he's perfectly free to have contact with whomsoever he chooses. That includes you, his family in Bangladesh, any nut he meets on the Internet, etc.

Susan57

A few more questions ... ...

Hi,

Thanks a million for such handy one liners. You make me think positive now.
I am a painter by profession and not much into laws and stuff. I'm sorry if you find my questions silly. I am worried and very nervous.
I've got a few more queries for the same matter :

RELATED TO HIS LIFE:

The transfer student's immigration period is ending this march.
1. What will be his immigration status after I adopt him? Can he stay here without any problems till the moment he gets his citizenship.
2. I hope this period till he get citizenship will provide all the rights my like usual social security services, study, or working based on his qualification.
3. Does he satisfy the security check needed some of classified jobs?
4. He is a biotechnology major undergrad and planning to go for full time/part time graduate studies.
Will he be allowed to study part time or he needs to be full time just like his current visa status?
Will he be able to receive Federal scholarships and other government aids? My sister's kids got some good Federal scholarships for undergrad and grad studies. Or he needs to wait till he get citizenship?

RELATED TO MY LIFE

1. I am christian and I want a big piece of my assets to be diverted to a church after I die. I believe my "will" should be sufficient for that. Do I need to go for any legal documentations with the adopted child so that he never claims for that later on?
2. Do I need to goto some special attorney or government agency which can help me? Can any lawyer help me with it? How much time and money this matter usually cost?

I gotta stop typing. I never expected such a big favor from net. It's like queries of my life are being solved, at no cost by some expert and kind persons.

Waiting for your advice.

God bless you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">