• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting an adult, international student

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GivenB

Seriously, Zigner?

Well, decided to dignify your preposterous accusation with a reply, for your edification, because you appear to be in need of further clarification re: my inquiry and intentions, which as previously stated, "are bi-fold."
Also prior qualification was very clear that I love this person as my daughter and actually, we both desire adopting each other, because we love each other as mother/daughter!
That said, we've previously discussed "adoption," in a more casual manner.
As of yesterday: there was a very real possibility that we could lose each other. This issue compelled an imperative for more immediate and serious discussion.

No fraud was being perpetrated; this legal action would not affect any immigration effect or benefit,
Except that as her mother, she had a viable voice, because I am a viable human being, which in my book, is defined as having integrity, possessing honor and being accountable to oneself as the person one aspires to be,
Which also means: tho shall not defraud, cheat, steal or unnecessarily cause harm, among some other personal tenets...
Let me propose to you that you think about being in a position where you love someone: like a mate, child, sibling, friend, and they have no voice for being wronged. Would you not step up to attempt to be a voice denied to them?
Well, we're all entitled to our opinions and mine is that this isn't the forum for personal attacks nor personal enlightenment.
I'm sorry you missed the point.
I've been very up-front and definitive about my/our agenda, and you are the only person who misunderstood it.
IA Sec'y of St. (re: adoption inquiries and intentions) US Bureau of Immigration, Most Viable folk on this forum all got it and assisted in accomplishing an appropriate goal.
And, final PostScript-FYI: Adoption discussion continues, regardless of immigration concerns no longer a consideration.
Love=Love!
Hope you have a nice day!
-GB

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let me propose to you that you think about being in a position where you love someone: like a mate, child, sibling, friend, and they have no voice for being wronged. Would you not step up to attempt to be a voice denied to them?
One does not adopt their "mate".

Proserpina

OP,

Legally you are barking up the wrong tree. And, yes, your intentions to speak more to fraud than anything else.

You're welcome.

Have a nice day.

GivenB

Confused. Ta

Well, I'm confused.
Zigner: one obviously marries a mate, and does not marry a daughter, which is beside the point.
So what's your point in pursuing this discussion? Argument? Have a life more real than this? (I seriously do.)
Proserpina: I am confused: am I correct in identifying that you are addressing me ("OP"?) in accusation of fraud?
Well, idk, however I do know that my intentions were and remain free of any attempt to defraud any person, organization, bureau, government entity or academic entity.
I'm appreciative for a direction to pursue, searched hard and long, found Exactly what was necessary to correct a huge bureaucratic error, without being SEVERLY penalized for said bureaucratic error and even more appreciative for having our adoption discussion come out of the closet for further consideration and discussion.
Per office of: IA Sec'y of St: Adult adoption is appropriate to individual circumstances. Ours would qualify.(Interesting that no one, on this forum, voicing a personal opinion, devoid of facts, thought to inquire as to any facts pertaining to Why we might be considering adult adoption..., e.g., any special/specific circumstances involved...? That was the First inquiry made by Office of Sec'y of IA St.)
Per any accusation re: fraud- well that speaks more to the accuser's morality (or lack thereof), than to ours.
Ta, Y'all.
Thanks to those for your much appreciated assistance!
-GB

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Very astute of you, Stealth2!
Very appreciative and impressed!
I hadn't considered that potential effect, though a possible one.
(Not what our intended purpose is, albeit for curiosity's sake, just got off the phone with her university director of registra and did find out that her university would accept in-state tuition, were she to marry an Iowa resident And, would, indeed, "review" any request for same consideration due to being adopted by an Iowa resident. (And to fwd any such request attn: to director.)
Interesting. Very interesting.
Again, not an original factor of consideration (nor consciousness).
And, again, I'm truly appreciative for and impressed with your acute insight!
Thank you!
Sincerely,
GB
This is contrary to what I have been told as a hypothetical by someone on a committee that determines qualification for in state tuition at a certain prominent Iowa university. The exact wording I used was, "So, if I married a lifelong resident of Iowa and we bought a house in Iowa and had kids, surely by that time I'd be considered a resident of Iowa!" "Nope" - because I had moved to Iowa for academic purposes, it was explained to me. Had I relocated for a job and then decided to go to school, I could be considered a resident for tuition purposes.

It might be somewhat different if one obtains a green card, rather than relocating from another US state, though.

However, I'll bite: why can't your little friend continue here on her student visa? Was she booted out of her academic program or did she fail to get adequate financial support to prove that she can support herself as a student?

(OY; I'm such a techno-blog- idiot!)
*Again, Plz forgive my misspelling your forum-name, *Proserpina
and *stealth2
!)
Re: all of your all; input and direction:
Of course, you are completely correct.
Our adoption intentions were technically bi-fold, with a primary and urgent focus on creating emphasis on US Immigration to step up to acknowledging their error, rather than to simply address it by (sweeping it under their proverbial and bureaucratic rug;) deporting her, as a result of their error.
This All became an awareness/occurrence late yesterday eve.
We were Panicked with the very real possibility of immediate deportation to Bangladesh of a, considered to be: status of a nobody, a person with no rights, having absolutely no voice.
I found this forum and posted and was very relieved to receive some direction, which I followed and found a (somewhat "hidden/obscure"), very specific Referendum-Memorandum to the Iowa Immigration Code; Actually to the Federal Uniform U.S. Immigration Code/Regulations, which remain sovereign to all State Codes.
That Referendum directly addressed (well, technically gave me the power to cause) the Bureau of US Immigration's imperative to appropriately address and appropriately recognize and/or ameliorate Their errors and/or "extenuating circumstances, with proof of evidence;" their Responsibility to utilize "Appropriate Discretion"" to review evidence," which includes the responsibility of separate office locations, who are all employed US Immigration representatives, representing the same bureau, to be responsible for appropriately redirecting fed-ex'd, received well prior to DD, forms and accompanying documentation or, at very least, notify applicant or return documents, etc., to applicant.
In other words: there is a specific memorandum to the US Immigration Fed Reg that provided US Immigration Review Officer <that path became available by my utilizing IA Sec'y of State 1st, to pave my way> (yes, many hoops and many "tiers" to jump thru to get there) to utilize his (mandated) discretion to review evidence, follow up re: it, by following it and make appropriate decision that All offices; representatives of the US Bureau of Immigration..., are Responsible and Do Represent the US Bureau of Immigration in identical capacity, regardless of logistics.
So, Big Whew!
Thanks to Proserpina for leading me to the appropriate path!!!!!!
This Forum Is Outstanding!!!!!!
I'm/We Are SoooGrateful!!!!!!!!!!
Is there Any manner that I can/may more constructively extend my appreciation?
In Sincere Appreciation,
GB in IA
This is complete gibberish.

It's beyond doublespeak.

No, adult adoption is not practical. Marriage would be fraud.

What you need to address, in plain terms, why is your little friend losing her student visa and facing deportation?

(Oh, and without the melodrama. Bangladesh might be far away, but you could still stay in touch if you really wanted to.)

Proserpina

I'm almost intrigued enough to hear just what's happening with Ms. Status In-Jeopardy's immigrant status and exactly how our OP thinks s/he is going to save the day.

;)

Silverplum

(Interesting that no one, on this forum, voicing a personal opinion, devoid of facts, thought to inquire as to any facts pertaining to Why we might be considering adult adoption..., e.g., any special/specific circumstances involved...? That was the First inquiry made by Office of Sec'y of IA St.)

Per any accusation re: fraud- well that speaks more to the accuser's morality (or lack thereof), than to ours.
Speaking only for myself, I didn't care why you want to do anything.

Our "morality" is not up for judgement. We didn't ask for help with a famously tricky "problem," you did.

Funny, you loooooved us on page 1. Again: :rolleyes:

GivenB

Hahahahahahlmao

Wellwellwell
I just haaad to confirm
Hah!
So:
Dear Silverplum: FYI: when people use personal attack as a method of discussion, specifically use of language to become personally confrontational, it is an obvious display...of many things, including limited ability to communicate, perhaps as evidenced by the most limited manner of comprehension displayed...
...don't know you, so can only hope your ability to comprehend extends to believing these words you are reading: since I don't know you, Im not inclined to personally attack, discredit, defame or insult you. To put it in another light: why the heck would I be so inclined to do such a thing, when I (yes, you were correct) honestly lauded you on page 1, albeit mistakenly identified you to be lauded.
Still, and all: isn't life too short, challenging, much fun, hard, pleasurable, difficult, full, complex, busy...Complicated to look for problems, to create problems, arguments, confrontations?? And with virtual strangers...nah, not how I get my YahYahs.
Oh, I imagine that opinion is certainly not shared by those who make their living from people with problems, confrontations and arguments.
So, is that the deal here?
Is this a forum so litigious that its participants cannot see the issues for the arguments?
It's nonsensical to waste this much time and energy skulking about in hope to find some nefarious, hidden agenda, when the issue was clearly presented and, seriously (?) not a trick nor "a famously tricky problem"??!
I inquired whether adopting an adult, non US citizen was possible.
That's all I wanted to know, at that juncture, and had no intention of utilizing the potential for anything even remotely appearing nefarious, illegal, fraudulent or of any tangible benefit to anyone, other than I became the mother of the person I love as a daughter.
Proserpina provided me with the tool I needed to utilize to address my inquiry of: whether I may adopt an adult, non-US citizen. I discerned the answer to my inquiry. You didn't. Proserpina didn't. I did, by reading IA State code that I (appreciated!) being directed to.
I additionally discovered: I'm quite capable of reading, interpreting, understanding, researching and applying State Code and Federal Regulations...much to my own surprise. Probs what I Most Appreciated and thus extended sincere gratitude for having been directed toward said awareness.
So, Proserpina: since you're, "intrigued enough to hear what Ms. Status In-Jeopardy's immigrant status and exactly how our OP thinks s/he is going to save the day." (Btw: did you miss "your OP's" initial inquiry, identifying myself as, "female"? Not a hermaphrodite, not gender conflicted, not transgendered...simply born, raised, live and am: female.)
To the issue of your intrigue: my pleasure to elucidate just how I saved the day; literally, not proverbially:
My (like my daughter) friend did not lose her student status, did not, "get booted out of," anywhere, supports herself well, thank you for your generosity of spirit<hah:karma can be a killer> and in her almost 5' is a "bigger" person than you may ever be,
not2cleverRed. Your handle suits you well, if you believe that anyone coming to the State of Iowa for the purpose of going to school, can not become a legal resident of Iowa, because they arrived to Iowa with the intention of going to school.
Read up. (Hint: begin with) State Code of IA.
I state this with absolute conviction that you are so horribly wrong about "In-State-Tuition" requirements.
Many years ago, (so long ago, I'd forgotten about the connection, until this forum brought it to my attention),
I attended a wedding between 2 graduate students from "a prominent" Iowa University; ISU. He was born, raised, "lifelong" Iowan, she: born, raised East-Coaster. They met at ISU. Neither had been previously married. Both were US citizens. She was not a resident of Iowa and thus (made My fb inquiry) paid out-of-state tuition.
After they married, (his roommates rehomed) she moved into his house, (yes, there are many bachelors, who'd rather acrew equity, than pay rent.)
I also married one, although we moved into the house I owned, (owning a home doesn't require a marriage license, for your edification, just in case you were uncertain.)
She immediately applied for her new drivers license, as required by law, with her new legal name and new legal address. She received an IA driver's license. She immediately registered to vote, with her new name and address, because they agreed to remain in Iowa to, "grow a family."
The following year, she applied for in-state tuition, when she met the resident criteria, guess what? BigYep, no fuss-no muss ISU charged her in-state tuition. FYI: public universities do not dictate/mandate nor may they ignore St Code re: residency requirements or fulfillment; they are obligated to comply with St Code re: residency. And, btw: for all you skulkers of nefarious intentions: many years, 3 children, 1 freshman attending ISU, later, they are still married and she is very involved in her community.
So, Proserpina: (interesting that you weren't All Over the residency nonsense espoused by not2cleverRed)
How GB literally saved the proverbial day:
I went from your (much appreciated) direction to IA St Code---oh, oh, before I forget, Puhleez allow me to enlighten those Not in The Know, aka/ ignorant of the facts as presented by State of IA: Adults Can And Do Adopt Adults, for various and most legitimate reasons, not including those re: inheritance. Disability is a biggie! And that's just one more of the many. Geesh: engage brain, before keypads!
So, I quickly moved on from IA Code to Fed Regs, and WOW-I input
uscis.gov and Babam, right there= laws And Memorando, which adroitly and specifically addresses Immigration's "threat" aka/ NOID: Notice of Intention To Deny.
So I drank a bit of Java, put my feet up and read through the night.
Ahhh: epiphany city, here in the Midwest.
I made some great notes, and dialed at 7:59 A.M., to start. I was finished by -well y'all can see my forum time stamp. Mission Accomplished! NOID retracted. Why? Because USCIS SCREWED UP AND Memorandum 404 Clearly was created to prevent USCIS bureaucratic screw ups to become the penalty of an applicant.
That "gibberish," not2clevetRed, might have been "gibberish," to you, however, I can't help it if you're, "not2clever," Red!
And Silverplum: I beg to differ, and we can reasonably agree to disagree on this point: when false accusations and aspersions are cast and bandied about by a "group" of "insiders" (aka/ bullies), without even considering facts, then I'm calling that "immoral," simply because there just is No Excuse for that type of self-imposed, blinding, and, yes, dangerous ignorance!
Whew: yep: a most probable waste of my time and energy. ...long night last night, great day today, great night tonight; sometimes just being able to do the right thing feels more worthwhile than the thing itself.
I wish for you all that you enjoy the satisfaction that you earn, by giving, by not bullying, by not feeling smug, by not needing to define, predicated upon your own self-imposed limitations. Altruism is much more than a word in the dictionary. (Hint: look it up;)
This forum is conceptually great and has every right to actually be great.
You all do. 'Sup2U.
NiteNite :)
-GB

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Wellwellwell
I just haaad to confirm
Hah!
So:
Dear Silverplum: FYI: when people use personal attack as a method of discussion, specifically use of language to become personally confrontational, it is an obvious display...of many things, including limited ability to communicate, perhaps as evidenced by the most limited manner of comprehension displayed...
...don't know you, so can only hope your ability to comprehend extends to believing these words you are reading: since I don't know you, Im not inclined to personally attack, discredit, defame or insult you. To put it in another light: why the heck would I be so inclined to do such a thing, when I (yes, you were correct) honestly lauded you on page 1, albeit mistakenly identified you to be lauded.
Still, and all: isn't life too short, challenging, much fun, hard, pleasurable, difficult, full, complex, busy...Complicated to look for problems, to create problems, arguments, confrontations?? And with virtual strangers...nah, not how I get my YahYahs.
Oh, I imagine that opinion is certainly not shared by those who make their living from people with problems, confrontations and arguments.
Is this a forum so litigious that its participants cannot see the issues for the arguments?
It's nonsensical to waste this much time and energy skulking about in hope to find some nefarious, hidden agenda, when the issue was clearly presented and, seriously (?) not a trick nor "a famously tricky problem"??!
That's all I wanted to know, at that juncture, and had no intention of utilizing the potential for anything even remotely appearing nefarious, illegal, fraudulent or of any tangible benefit to anyone, other than I became the mother of the person I love as a daughter.
Proserpina provided me with the tool I needed to utilize to address my inquiry of: whether I may adopt an adult, non-US citizen. I discerned the answer to my inquiry. You didn't. Proserpina didn't. I did, by reading IA State code that I (appreciated!) being directed to.
I additionally discovered: I'm quite capable of reading, interpreting, understanding, researching and applying State Code and Federal Regulations...much to my own surprise. Probs what I Most Appreciated and thus extended sincere gratitude for having been directed toward said awareness.
So, Proserpina: since you're, "intrigued enough to hear what Ms. Status In-Jeopardy's immigrant status and exactly how our OP thinks s/he is going to save the day." (Btw: did you miss "your OP's" initial inquiry, identifying myself as, "female"? Not a hermaphrodite, not gender conflicted, not transgendered...simply born, raised, live and am: female.)
To the issue of your intrigue: my pleasure to elucidate just how I saved the day; literally, not proverbially:
My (like my daughter) friend did not lose her student status, did not, "get booted out of," anywhere, supports herself well, thank you for your generosity of spirit<hah:karma can be a killer> and in her almost 5' is a "bigger" person than you may ever be,
not2cleverRed. Your handle suits you well, if you believe that anyone coming to the State of Iowa for the purpose of going to school, can not become a legal resident of Iowa, because they arrived to Iowa with the intention of going to school.
I state this with absolute conviction that you are so horribly wrong about "In-State-Tuition" requirements.
Many years ago, (so long ago, I'd forgotten about the connection, until this forum brought it to my attention),
I attended a wedding between 2 graduate students from "a prominent" Iowa University; ISU. He was born, raised, "lifelong" Iowan, she: born, raised East-Coaster. They met at ISU. Neither had been previously married. Both were US citizens. She was not a resident of Iowa and thus (made My fb inquiry) paid out-of-state tuition.
After they married, (his roommates rehomed) she moved into his house, (yes, there are many bachelors, who'd rather acrew equity, than pay rent.)
I also married one, although we moved into the house I owned, (owning a home doesn't require a marriage license, for your edification, just in case you were uncertain.)
She immediately applied for her new drivers license, as required by law, with her new legal name and new legal address. She received an IA driver's license. She immediately registered to vote, with her new name and address, because they agreed to remain in Iowa to, "grow a family."
The following year, she applied for in-state tuition, when she met the resident criteria, guess what? BigYep, no fuss-no muss ISU charged her in-state tuition. FYI: public universities do not dictate/mandate nor may they ignore St Code re: residency requirements or fulfillment; they are obligated to comply with St Code re: residency. And, btw: for all you skulkers of nefarious intentions: many years, 3 children, 1 freshman attending ISU, later, they are still married and she is very involved in her community.
So, Proserpina: (interesting that you weren't All Over the residency nonsense espoused by not2cleverRed)
I went from your (much appreciated) direction to IA St Code---oh, oh, before I forget, Puhleez allow me to enlighten those Not in The Know, aka/ ignorant of the facts as presented by State of IA: Adults Can And Do Adopt Adults, for various and most legitimate reasons, not including those re: inheritance. Disability is a biggie! And that's just one more of the many. Geesh: engage brain, before keypads!
uscis.gov and Babam, right there= laws And Memorando, which adroitly and specifically addresses Immigration's "threat" aka/ NOID: Notice of Intention To Deny.
I made some great notes, and dialed at 7:59 A.M., to start. I was finished by -well y'all can see my forum time stamp. Mission Accomplished! NOID retracted. Why? Because USCIS SCREWED UP AND Memorandum 404 Clearly was created to prevent USCIS bureaucratic screw ups to become the penalty of an applicant.
That "gibberish," not2clevetRed, might have been "gibberish," to you, however, I can't help it if you're, "not2clever," Red!
And Silverplum: I beg to differ, and we can reasonably agree to disagree on this point: when false accusations and aspersions are cast and bandied about by a "group" of "insiders" (aka/ bullies), without even considering facts, then I'm calling that "immoral," simply because there just is No Excuse for that type of self-imposed, blinding, and, yes, dangerous ignorance!
Whew: yep: a most probable waste of my time and energy. ...long night last night, great day today, great night tonight; sometimes just being able to do the right thing feels more worthwhile than the thing itself.
I wish for you all that you enjoy the satisfaction that you earn, by giving, by not bullying, by not feeling smug, by not needing to define, predicated upon your own self-imposed limitations. Altruism is much more than a word in the dictionary. (Hint: look it up;)
You all do. 'Sup2U.
-GB
Q4P, but not wasting time reading it. For any number of reasons, but mostly because I'm not wasting my time on your foolishness. Go pay a lawyer. We all volunteer our time, "lady". You're not worth it.

Proserpina

Wellwellwell
I just haaad to confirm
Hah!
So:
You all do. 'Sup2U.
-GB

Here's some more advice:

Stop playing with your Alphabetti Spaghetti, buy some punctuation, and go outside.

You're welcome.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Q4P, but not wasting time reading it. For any number of reasons, but mostly because I'm not wasting my time on your foolishness. Go pay a lawyer. We all volunteer our time, "lady". You're not worth it.
Basically, she is coming back with the OG effect.

Her little friend *can* stay here, because they figured out where the paperwork snafu was with USCIS.

It did not require any of the convoluted legal gymnastics that OP contemplated. The fact that she posted here rather than in immigration speaks volumes. And the fact is that we still don't know what the actual facts were in her little friend's case.

In my experience, the most successful tactic with USCIS is to follow the procedures, be honest, and direct. USCIS isn't looking for piles of ********. There is specific criteria, show evidence of meeting that criteria and you're fine - except for when they misplace the form(s) you've sent in. (Great to get an application back as denied for missing a form... and they've included the allegedly missing form, complete with date received stamped on it.) Hey, agents are humans.

Furthermore, rather than Iowa state code, OP should look at the Iowa Board of Regents policy on the subject of in state tuition, summarized here: https://registrar.uiowa.edu/classification-residents-tuition-purposes
If the little friend has come to Iowa on a student visa, then she has not lived and worked in Iowa for 12 months prior to enrollment; she will be presumed to have come to Iowa primarily for educational reasons rather than to establish a domicile in Iowa, and therefore NOT be a resident for tuition purposes.

Perhaps ISU has different criteria from The University of Iowa, but The University of Iowa is the one with a law school, and that's where I received *my* information, thank you.

Graduate student often are assessed tuition at in-state rates if they are research assistants or teaching assistants, for example, even if they are not Iowans for tuition purposes. This is only true so long as they maintain their qualification status for those stipends. I know this because I have had such assistantships. It is highly likely that the woman in OP's anecdote had in state tuition as a result of such an assistantship/stipend, not because she married an Iowan, etc.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">