• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting an adult, international student

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GivenB

I'm an Iowa resident (female.) May I adopt an adult international student, attending school in Iowa, who is young enough to be my daughter, whom I love like my daughter, and who loves me like a daughter?

GivenB

Re: adopting an adult international student

Dear Silverplum,
Thank you for your reply and for your informative direction.
While not intended to confer U.S. citizen status, I was hoping our adopting each other (in actuality) would also afford her some extra time with immigration to procure her necessary documents to extend her U.S. presence.
We happen to care deeply for each other, and advantageously contribute to each other's lives; like mother and daughter. (I have an awesome, adult birth daughter, with whom I enjoy a very close relationship, so I know how special this is.)
Might you be aware of whether or not adoption may contribute to an "awareness" by immigration, certainly not for any extended US Immigration and Naturalization rights?
Thanks, again for your time and consideration!
Sincerely,
GB

Proserpina

Dear Silverplum,
While not intended to confer U.S. citizen status, I was hoping our adopting each other (in actuality) would also afford her some extra time with immigration to procure her necessary documents to extend her U.S. presence.
We happen to care deeply for each other, and advantageously contribute to each other's lives; like mother and daughter. (I have an awesome, adult birth daughter, with whom I enjoy a very close relationship, so I know how special this is.)
Might you be aware of whether or not adoption may contribute to an "awareness" by immigration, certainly not for any extended US Immigration and Naturalization rights?
Sincerely,
GB

Under what premise do you think her stay will be extended?

I'm not SilverPlum, but ...

... you're welcome.

Silverplum

Dear Silverplum,
:eek: That's Proserpina who deserves the credit. :) But thank you for thanking somebody: most do not. :)

GivenB said:
Sincerely,
GB
I doubt it, but it's Proserpina who knows all things. :)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Additionally, such an adoption will likely not confer immediate Iowa "resident status" for purposes of in-state tuition. (That's where my thinking went, vs immigration issues...) She would need to check wit hthe college/university as to those requirements.

GivenB

Dear Prosperpina,

Please accept my sincerest regrets for my BIG OOPS, as well as my appreciation for your time, consideration and constructively accurate insight and advice!
(WOW! I'm awestruck by the level of expertise you've provided!!)

I attempted to reply late last eve./early this morn., however, I received a response that my reply would require some sort of review/authorization, prior to it being submitted (too yaddayaddayadda loquacious, I'm speculating.)

Since 8:A.M., I've been on the phone with the Iowa Secretary of State's office and with U.S. Immigration Officer and Review Officer. (Jumped through many hoops.)
I'm not legal-ease savvy nor anyone of significant "relevance," i.e., I've no political connections nor significant resources, and am a complete novice regarding any kind of blogs, so I'd like to extend to you an awareness that someone; you: and people like (and specifically) Sugarplum deserve props for inciting those of us, who are not savvy, who have no "power," except our own voices---derive great and much needed strength and empowerment from the support and skill(s) you provide/offer to people like me!
So...apologies for this diatribe-I know this isn't the forum for personal blahblahblah, yet I hope you'll excuse me.
Sincerely,
GB

GivenB

Re: Adopting Adult...Attn:Stealth2

Very astute of you, Stealth2!
Very appreciative and impressed!
I hadn't considered that potential effect, though a possible one.
(Not what our intended purpose is, albeit for curiosity's sake, just got off the phone with her university director of registra and did find out that her university would accept in-state tuition, were she to marry an Iowa resident And, would, indeed, "review" any request for same consideration due to being adopted by an Iowa resident. (And to fwd any such request attn: to director.)
Interesting. Very interesting.
Again, not an original factor of consideration (nor consciousness).
And, again, I'm truly appreciative for and impressed with your acute insight!
Thank you!
Sincerely,
GB

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Very astute of you, Stealth2!
Very appreciative and impressed!
I hadn't considered that potential effect, though a possible one.
(Not what our intended purpose is, albeit for curiosity's sake, just got off the phone with her university director of registra and did find out that her university would accept in-state tuition, were she to marry an Iowa resident And, would, indeed, "review" any request for same consideration due to being adopted by an Iowa resident. (And to fwd any such request attn: to director.)
Interesting. Very interesting.
Again, not an original factor of consideration (nor consciousness).
And, again, I'm truly appreciative for and impressed with your acute insight!
Thank you!
Sincerely,
GB
An adult being adopted by another adult does NOT confer resident status on the adoptee. It just doesn't.

GivenB

Grateful For And To All re: "Adopt an Adult..."

(OY; I'm such a techno-blog- idiot!)
*Again, Plz forgive my misspelling your forum-name, *Proserpina
and *stealth2
!)
Re: all of your all; input and direction:
Of course, you are completely correct.
Our adoption intentions were technically bi-fold, with a primary and urgent focus on creating emphasis on US Immigration to step up to acknowledging their error, rather than to simply address it by (sweeping it under their proverbial and bureaucratic rug;) deporting her, as a result of their error.
This All became an awareness/occurrence late yesterday eve.
We were Panicked with the very real possibility of immediate deportation to Bangladesh of a, considered to be: status of a nobody, a person with no rights, having absolutely no voice.
I found this forum and posted and was very relieved to receive some direction, which I followed and found a (somewhat "hidden/obscure"), very specific Referendum-Memorandum to the Iowa Immigration Code; Actually to the Federal Uniform U.S. Immigration Code/Regulations, which remain sovereign to all State Codes.
That Referendum directly addressed (well, technically gave me the power to cause) the Bureau of US Immigration's imperative to appropriately address and appropriately recognize and/or ameliorate Their errors and/or "extenuating circumstances, with proof of evidence;" their Responsibility to utilize "Appropriate Discretion"" to review evidence," which includes the responsibility of separate office locations, who are all employed US Immigration representatives, representing the same bureau, to be responsible for appropriately redirecting fed-ex'd, received well prior to DD, forms and accompanying documentation or, at very least, notify applicant or return documents, etc., to applicant.
In other words: there is a specific memorandum to the US Immigration Fed Reg that provided US Immigration Review Officer <that path became available by my utilizing IA Sec'y of State 1st, to pave my way> (yes, many hoops and many "tiers" to jump thru to get there) to utilize his (mandated) discretion to review evidence, follow up re: it, by following it and make appropriate decision that All offices; representatives of the US Bureau of Immigration..., are Responsible and Do Represent the US Bureau of Immigration in identical capacity, regardless of logistics.
So, Big Whew!
Thanks to Proserpina for leading me to the appropriate path!!!!!!
This Forum Is Outstanding!!!!!!
I'm/We Are SoooGrateful!!!!!!!!!!
Is there Any manner that I can/may more constructively extend my appreciation?
In Sincere Appreciation,
GB in IA

GivenB

Ok, I'm SEVERLY Techno-Challenged!

&#128563;&#128580;&#128556;
Thank You, Silveplum!
Fortunate for all who so honorably "serve" here, I won't continue to be a continued annoyance!
Lol, tho: thanks for your generous patience (my aforementioned daughter is far less so re: my challenges!)
Hope you all receive so much more, than what you offer in, "paying it forward!"
ThanksThanksThanksNotEnough!!!
-GB

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">