• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting a baby from someone you know.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mztrini26

What is the name of your state? Florida

An old friend of mine is pregnant with her 6th child (Yes SIX). She has asked my husband and I to adopt this child. (Let me give you a little bit of history 1st) Last year she was pregnant and asked my husband and I to adopt, due to her not being stable...but we were in a different state (Va) and some members of her family told her she was a bad mother if she gave the baby to us (which she now says she regrets b/c the promises of help from her family members never came)...now my husband and I have moved back to Fl and she told me she was pregnant (YET AGAIN!!!) and wanted to get an abortion but found out they wouldn't do it...she then stated that she wanted to call an adoption agency (she got me hook, line and sinker yet again). I took her to the doctor last week and found out she is about 26 weeks pregnant. She keeps saying that she does not want this child and that it is not a repeat of last year. You can see why I may be a little skeptical.
Now for my question. Is it posible to have any type of papers drawn up prior to the baby being born? And also because we now each other would the adoption be as extensive as others? Are there things that I can file myself (with her of course) relinquishing rights? Do we still have to go through the whole process of the home study? And how much does a process like this generally cost? And one last question on a personal level. She has stated that if my husband and I needed help with supplies or child care that she would like to help. How do I handle this? I don't want to seem rude or like I'm using her but I don't want any help from her or her family even though I had grown up around them all. My husband's solution is to simply move away after the birth and adoption is completed. But my parents and siblings are here in Fl and I dont feel I should have to move away. I have read alot of different threads stating that once the adopt is done she can't change her mind. Please help!!!!! ANXIOUS IN FLORIDA!!!

momofrose

Sorry - just wondering - we were recently chosen by a Birthmom who was also on her 6th child and who also looked into abortion when she found out she was pregnant. Recently they (husband and wife) have "left" and can not be found.

Just saw some similarities...wishing you the best!

D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">