• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting a Grandchild in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mamaw2B

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Michigan

Here is my situation and question -

My 17 year old son's ex-girlfriend is pregnant. She is 15, soon to be 16 and has a 16 month old child already. She has claimed that this current pregnancy is my son's child and we are fairly sure that she is correct. We do plan on doing a paternity test when the baby is born to make sure though.

She had planned on having an abortion in the beginning. But my husband and I talked with her and told her that we would adopt the baby and allow her to come over and see him and be somewhat involved in his life. She agreed and did not have the abortion.

My son was wanting to have full custody, but I read that the mother cannot terminate her rights except in the case of an adoption. We want her to terminate her rights due to her living situation and not being able to take care of herself and her daughter now. She has expressed many times that she knows that she cannot take care of another baby. Also, she is back with the father of her first child and he said he wants nothing to do with this baby-on-the-way.

At the moment, she is willing to terminate rights and let us have him, but I am a little afraid that once she sees him, she will not want to do the adoption, which is definately in the best interest of the baby.

So, what I need to know is:

1. Can we do anything before the baby is born to insure that we will be able to adopt him? Are there papers that we/she can sign before the birth?

2. I was told that as long as it is not contested, that we shouldn't have to go to court. That all we needed to do was fill out the proper paper work and have it filed with the courts. Is this correct? If so, do you know what forms we need?

Thank you very much for any advice and let me know if you need more information.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Michigan

Here is my situation and question -

My 17 year old son's ex-girlfriend is pregnant. She is 15, soon to be 16 and has a 16 month old child already. She has claimed that this current pregnancy is my son's child and we are fairly sure that she is correct. We do plan on doing a paternity test when the baby is born to make sure though.

She had planned on having an abortion in the beginning. But my husband and I talked with her and told her that we would adopt the baby and allow her to come over and see him and be somewhat involved in his life. She agreed and did not have the abortion.

My son was wanting to have full custody, but I read that the mother cannot terminate her rights except in the case of an adoption. We want her to terminate her rights due to her living situation and not being able to take care of herself and her daughter now. She has expressed many times that she knows that she cannot take care of another baby. Also, she is back with the father of her first child and he said he wants nothing to do with this baby-on-the-way.

At the moment, she is willing to terminate rights and let us have him, but I am a little afraid that once she sees him, she will not want to do the adoption, which is definately in the best interest of the baby.

So, what I need to know is:

1. Can we do anything before the baby is born to insure that we will be able to adopt him? Are there papers that we/she can sign before the birth?

2. I was told that as long as it is not contested, that we shouldn't have to go to court. That all we needed to do was fill out the proper paper work and have it filed with the courts. Is this correct? If so, do you know what forms we need?
Thank you very much for any advice and let me know if you need more information.
i'm 99% percent positive, that is not true. who told you that?

and yes, mom is within her legal right to change her mind at the time of the birth.

Mamaw2B

A friend told me. She had her current husband adopt her children and this is how they did it. I did not know if it would apply to us or not.

So, how do we start the whole process then? Can she give up her rights and give our son full custody and my son takes him home from the hospital? Or do we need to do an adoption to make sure that she terminates rights?

And yes, I do understand that she can change her mind. That's why I wondered if there was anything we could do before the birth or if we have to wait and see what happens.

Isis1

A friend told me. She had her current husband adopt her children and this is how they did it. I did not know if it would apply to us or not.

So, how do we start the whole process then? Can she give up her rights and give our son full custody and my son takes him home from the hospital? Or do we need to do an adoption to make sure that she terminates rights?

And yes, I do understand that she can change her mind. That's why I wondered if there was anything we could do before the birth or if we have to wait and see what happens.
she cannot give up her rights, just to give them up. now if you chose to adopt, mom AND dad can give up their rights. nothing can be done till the child is born.

you will need an attorney. do not move without one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">