• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting from a Grandparent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEARZI

What is the name of your state? IL

I have an opportunity to adopt a 2 year old boy from his Grandmother (who has full custody). The bio-father relinquished (sp?) his rights at birth and the bio-mother had her rights taken away by the courts. The Grandmother is in poor health and living with her mother (the child's Great Grandmother), Grandma has to undergo 3 major surgery's in the next year all with extended stays in the hospital. I am going to be keeping him in a month or so while Grandma undergoes her first of the 3 surgery's. She will be in the hospital for 6 weeks and he will be in my care during this time. I work in a childcare home, so finding daycare is not an issue at all for me, and I will be taking him to visit Grandma while she is in the hospital. She knows she is in poor health and may not be here very much longer and cannot continue to care for him the way he needs to be cared for. I found out about him and the situation through my boss' (and best friend for 10 years) sister. She lives in the same town as the little boy and Grandma and helps the Grandma with him. Me watching him for the 6 weeks is kind of like a trial period to see how he will interact with me and the change of not having Grandma around as much. Has anyone ever adopted in this type of situation? What kind of adoption would be best? Open, Closed or something else? I am financially stable to care for a child, But I'm scared of how much the adoption could cost if done through and agency. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

nextwife

Honestly, if the cost of only needing an attorney to make certain the adoption is properly legal is scaring you, you might rethink adopting right now. There is nothing MORE important in the adoption process than making certain all legal processes are handled properly and that the emotional well-being of the child is provided for. The legal fees are just the start.

Plan for counseling/therapy to help you and the child adapt. In one so young, play-therapy may be a useful way to allow the child to express emoptionally what their vocablulary is not capable of expressing. Read books on toddler adoption and broken attachments, so that you understnad the adjustments an adopted toddler experiences. Our daughter was two when adopted, and doing fine (althouygh hers was an orphanage adoption).

I'd suggest reading some books on toddler adoption, if you have not already, to gain better understanding in considerationm of such adoption. Toddler Adoption: The Weaver's Craft
by: Mary Hopkins-Best is one, THis is one of several websights that have useful books on toddler and older
adoptions.
http://www.adoptshoppe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=215
http://www.olderchildadoption.com/shop/general.shtml
Avoid the gushy books, and seek the useful ones.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Just because Grandma has custody does NOT mean that the bio-parents' rights have been terminated. You really do need an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">