• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting my 14 year old sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RoxieHart

What is the name of your state?Alabama

I have a 14 year old sister who is now homeless because my dad and her mother are both on cocaine and don't care about her at all. She is currently living with a friend of hers, but I do not know how long that will last. I am on my own with my daughter and husband. I want to adopt my sister and provide a good home to her like my mother did for me, but I have no clue on where to start or anything about the adoptions. I know that both of her parents would readily sign over their parental rights. I would allow visitation on her wish, and supervised for awhile. I don't want my sister falling into this horrible life of drugs. Any advice will help.

As always, I do not wish to be antagonized, I want real advice. I also am asking for opinions on this matter about the visitation and such as I'm not really sure I'm doing the right thing there.

BelizeBreeze

Adoption would require a Termination of both parent's rights.

If your sister is in such a state, then petition the court for an emergency order of custody and guardianship.

Then you can get Children's services involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">