• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopting a relative from Brazil

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

psterling

What is the name of your state? Florida
My wife's Uncle passed away in Brazil leaving a wife with two children and one in the oven. One child is 6, one is 1.2 and she is five months pregnant. We would like to adopt the still to be born or maybe the 1.2 year old. The mother is willing to give them up because she cannot afford to keep them as she is very poor in Brazil and is willing to let family members adopt the children.
My question is how do we go about doing this.? I am a US Citizen, my wife is a US resident and we have two children born in the US. We want to save these children and we need to bring them to the US. ANy ideas on doing this quickly?

Thank you in advance

nextwife

My wife's Uncle passed away in Brazil leaving a wife with two children and one in the oven. One child is 6, one is 1.2 and she is five months pregnant. We would like to adopt the still to be born or maybe the 1.2 year old. The mother is willing to give them up because she cannot afford to keep them as she is very poor in Brazil and is willing to let family members adopt the children.
My question is how do we go about doing this.? I am a US Citizen, my wife is a US resident and we have two children born in the US. We want to save these children and we need to bring them to the US. ANy ideas on doing this quickly?

Thank you in advance
http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/country/country_358.html

Start here.

LdiJ

Thank you in advance
Get yourself a consult with an adoption attorney and an immigration attorney as well....and look at the link that Nextwife gave you.

Its very do-able, but its not going to be simple and it may not be as quick as you would like.

nextwife

Get yourself a consult with an adoption attorney and an immigration attorney as well....and look at the link that Nextwife gave you.

Its very do-able, but its not going to be simple and it may not be as quick as you would like.
If they use an adoption attorney who does international adoptions, they really shouldn't need an immigration attorney. Most international adoptions are done without an immigration attorney, because the I600 Visa is easy to obtain for parents adopting a child. Dept of Homeland Security has no security issues with toddlers coming here, and no criminal background checks, etc. of the child to perform. They only want proof from the native country that the child is a legal orphan (parental rights properly and legally relinquished) and that the adoption was done in accordance with their laws. And they want criminal background checks on the adoptive parents.

Also: Be aware that Brazilian adoption law has a co-habitation requirement. You and your wife will need to life, in Brazil, with the child for a minimum of 30 days, if they are over age two.

RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Brazilian law requires prospective parents to live in Brazil with the child for a cohabitation period of at least 15 days for children under two years of age and at least 30 days for older children.

Last edited:

psterling

Adoption in Brazil

Thank you for the replies. From what I have been reading the I600 is my first step in the US and this seems straight forward. I have dealt with the INS before obtaing the legal status for my wife. Since my wife is Brazilian we have the right to adopt in Brazil and it seems that it might be easier since the baby is my wife's cousin. The mother will go in front of a Judge and transfer custody to us. From what I understand if the child is under 1 year then there is almost no wait for custody. Adoption process might take longer. If over 1 year then the 15 day rule will apply but in either case we can begin nourishing the children with love and food.

Please continue to give suggestions as this is critical in making the correct decitions for us.

Thank you all.

nextwife

While you likely DON'T need an immigration attorney, you likely DO need a local Brazilian attorney to handle the in-country legal issues and court appearances.

Check with your state's Dept of Children and Family Services to verify what, if any, requirement THEY may have. We had to coordinate between our state DCFS and the INS office here. No I600 visa could be used to bring the child here UNTIL the State of WI first approved our homestudy. And relayed approval to the INS. So it is sometimes a two tiered process, requiring compliance with laws of both your jurisdiction and the applicable jurisdiction in the child's country.

psterling

Attorney

Yes I agree that an attorney is needed in Brazil. We are searching for one. Fortunately my wife has family in Brazil and we where going on vacation to Brazil this month anyway. This will allow us to search for an attorney and see the conditions first hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">