• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tamikkaa23

What is the name of your state? tennessee
i am a unmarried mother of a 5 yr old my fiancee of 5 yrs wants to adopt her. the biological father wishes to terminate his parental rights can we do this?

M

munchkin03

You should consult a lawyer. But in Michigan you have to be married for 6 months but after 6 moths you can file for the adoption. You dont have to wait 2 years w/o contact. But that is in michigan. I talked to a lawyer who specializes in adoptions and she gave me the law for michigan

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You'd have to be married for a period of time - most states require a year, tho some will go with 6 months. You'd need to find out what TN's requirements are. Since all parties are in agreement, it shouldn't be a problem (unless someone changes their mind).

Seanscott

In our case in Indiana, the judge waived the marriage time limit since we had lived together for over 4 years. If your child knows only your fiancee as his father, you may be able to have the limit waived also.

The adoption process may take up to a year, so you might as well file the day after you two are married. The waiting period will be up by the time the adoption case is in the works.

Best Wishes to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">