• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HeavenlyAngel

I have sole custody of my daughter and my soon to be husband wants to adopt my child. The father has been out of the picture since I got sole custody of her in 2000. I don't have child support from him because I have no idea where he is and his family doesn't know or they just won't tell me. Can he adopt her without the fathers consent or do I have to search for him?

H

HeavenlyAngel

The courts awarded me sole custody because he didn't show up for a hearing before the judge. I was suppose to go for support but I have no idea where he was and still don't to this day. My soon to be husband wants to adopt her. Can he do it since I was awarded sole custody and not being able to find the biological father on top of it? Please help me?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I can understand why YOU would like your husband to adopt YOUR child - - but, from a legal standpoint, WHY would your husband want to adopt YOUR child?

Besides the fact that he "loves" your child (remember, we're talking about law), what's "in it" for your husband to adopt your child?

If he's going to be living with you and your child anyway, I don't see ANY reason for him to adopt your child.

If it's possible, have your husband write back to me to tell me his LEGAL reasons for wanting to adopt YOUR child.

IAAL

CMSC

HeavenlyAngel said:
I have sole custody of my daughter and my soon to be husband wants to adopt my child. The father has been out of the picture since I got sole custody of her in 2000. I don't have child support from him because I have no idea where he is and his family doesn't know or they just won't tell me. Can he adopt her without the fathers consent or do I have to search for him?
First of all don't erase the damn "Whats the name of your state" question. Nobody can give you adoption advice because you refused to list the state.

H

HeavenlyAngel

Oops I forgot to mention that in my typing. I am from the state of Florida if that actually helps. I am new at this law stuff. I never asked questions like this before. Sorry to confuse people. My step father adopted me with my fathers consent so I don't know how it works and I really can't afford a lawyer right now to ask all of my questions either. So sorry for not saying which state I am from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">