• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barbell98

What is the name of your state? ohio
My ex-husband and I are back together. We are not re-married, but have been back with one another for 2 1/2 years. While we were apart, I had a child. He is the only man in her life, and has always been such. I do not know the father of my child, as I got impregnated by a complete stranger. We are wanting her to carry his last name, as I and our other two daughters do. Adoption would not only solve this issue, but also allow him to continue to raise her, should something happen to me. Someone instructed me, that because I did not know who the biological father is, we could have problems with the adoption. Is this true? How can we begin the process of adoption?

nextwife

From Ohio Adoption Statute Summary

http://www.adoptionsolutions.com/general/state laws/oh_law.htm

Ohio Revised Code Annotated Sections 3107.01 to 3107.44 (1998)

"Consent is not required of the following people:

the parent who has failed without justifiable reason to communicate

or provide support for the adoptee for at least 1 year immediately before either the filing of the adoption petition or the placement;

the putative father if he does not object within 30 days with the court or appropriate agency or the court finds that he is not the father of the child, that he has willfully abandoned or failed to care for and support the child, or that he abandoned the mother during pregnancy;

a legal guardian of the adoptee, who has not responded to a request for consent for 30 days, or who is unreasonably withholding consent;

the spouse of the adoptee, if the spouse is withholding consent because of prolonged absence, unavailability, incapacity, or circumstances make it impossible or unreasonably difficult to

Relative Adoption
A preadoption investigation required before placement in the adoptive parent's home is not required when the adoptive parent is a stepparent or a grandparent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">