• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption of an 18-year-old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Setara22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I am currently 17 turning 18 in January. I would really love to be adopted by my step-father. I've known him since I was 1 and my biological father hasn't contacted me for almost three years. So I was wondering if this is legal in my state and also where I can get the paperwork? My step-dad's birthday is the day before mine and I want to surprise him with it.

Proserpina

I am currently 17 turning 18 in January. I would really love to be adopted by my step-father. I've known him since I was 1 and my biological father hasn't contacted me for almost three years. So I was wondering if this is legal in my state and also where I can get the paperwork? My step-dad's birthday is the day before mine and I want to surprise him with it.
You can't do anything until you're 18; after that you can have him adopt you without requiring permission of your parents. You can call the court house and they'll tell you what he'll need to do.

Yes, this is legal in Utah :)

Hisbabygirl77

And you can get the paperwork and present it to him on his birthday letting him know that you would like to become his child. While the actualy adoption is not possible before his birthday the sentiment will be the same :)

Setara22

And you can get the paperwork and present it to him on his birthday letting him know that you would like to become his child. While the actualy adoption is not possible before his birthday the sentiment will be the same :)
But where/how do I get this paperwork?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">