• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption of an 18 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BGeorge57

I live in the state of Texas. My step-daughter, whom I have raised for 7 years, is now 18. Can I adopt her without her father's consent, now that she is an adult? What is the procedure?

S

sagatious

Im 29 and this message is based on my personal experience in a california court. I am NOT a LAWYER....

I was adopted this year by the family that raised me. My biological mom was against it and I needed her to give consent in order for the adoption to occur by california law. I stated in the adoption documentation that I had no contact with my biological parents... not exactly true.... my biological mom and I are somewhat close. In any case, I didnt want her to feel bad and i felt it was necessary to claim the family that raised me as my "parents." When we went to court the topic of my biological parents never came up. The courts never did anything to try to locate my birth certificate parents. I assume its because I am an adult and the life of a child isnt at stake by the adoption going through.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">