• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ECR

What is the name of your state? California

Your question? I was just reading the case that is on your site about a Ohio girl that does not believe she was adopted and yet her birth certificate is changed. This is the exact same thing that my husband is dealing with. His mother in 1981 changed his birth certificate to list his step father as his father and changed his given name to the step-fathers. Now at 36 he is running into problems because he has never gone by the new name his mother gave him which is reflected on his current birth certificate. He was 12 years old at the time his mother did this but continued to go by his birth name. His drivers licesne, SS #, bills, mortgage, everything is under his original name not the new name reflected on his birth certificate. We are trying to ! change his birth certificate back or get a copy of the sealed birth certificate and have not figured out how to do this. It seems like we are going to have to do an adult adoption by his birth father to change the birth certificate back. We are in a pinch because my husband is connected to an indian settlement that should be coming through very soon. And, we added our three children to the settlement but they are not showing as his kids since the father listed on their birth certificate which we put his origial birth name is not his actual name reflected on his current birth certificate. So, he is not showing as the same person. His step father is out of the country and was never married to his mother they are no longer together. His mother and father are both in agreement to changing the birth certificate back but at a loss to how we can do this the easiest and quickest way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">