• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beth.e.jones

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
I am going to court with my daughter concerning child support. The person who is paying the child support has not seen his son in a little over 7 years nor has he tried to see or call him. The man who my grandson knows as his father has been in his life as his father since he was probably 3 months old.
Is it possible to take a document for the donor to sign saying that he relinquishs all rights to the child so his stepfather can adopt him?

momofrose

If the father (NOT DONOR) wants to sign away his rights so that the step-father can adopt the child - sure that is possible. You need an attorney for this and the adoption.

I really hope(however ) that this child knows that her stap-dad is NOT her father at this point.

jenndga

Yes there is a form for him to sign away his parental rights. It must be notarized and included in the petition for adoption when filed. An attorney will have this form readily available.

If your daughter does proceed with removal of his rights, she will also lose her right to collect child support, so make sure she is willing to lose that income. If that is the case, then it is kind of pointless to go through the effort of taking him to court for child support just to have it taken away with the adoption...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">