• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mauisurf

My daughter's stepfather of ten years has recently requested permission to formally adopt my daughter. I know that my rights as a father will terminate. Will I still be obligated to pay child support?

Perky

My daughter's stepfather of ten years has recently requested permission to formally adopt my daughter. I know that my rights as a father will terminate. Will I still be obligated to pay child support?
Not likely, but since you didn't answer the "What is the name of your state?" question when you created your thread, who can be sure?

Last edited:

Perky

No, you will not be obligated unless you have an arrearage. If so, that is still owed.

Perky

NOt necessarily correct. certain counties have it directly on the paperwork that arrearages cease to exist at the time of adoption.
Okay, thanks for correcting me. I've added your post to the other thread. Who knows which one he's reading??? :p

Isis1

It would be in Ashtabula.
if i were you, i'd be proactive and take the order (when it is finalized) stating that all current child support and arrears are to cease and give it to the child support office myself. child support doesn't have access and won't know anything until you do something about it.

and keep in mind, if mom was on any state assistance, you would still owe the state for the arrears. if mom wasn't on any state assistance, than mom can relinquish those arrears.

Mauisurf

Thank you!

Thank you for your advise. I will notify the agency myself. I am current will all my support and my ex wife is not on state assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">