• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption-BIO father MIA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MOMXs3

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Couple have been married for over 10 years. Married when child was 4 y.o. Bio dad has had no contact with child for over 10 years. Does not pay support. As a matter of fact, they have no clue if he is even alive or where he lives. His name is VERY common and I found about 55 people with that same name on a switchboard.com search of Baltimore.
Child thinks of step father as only father, they love each other very much and he would like to adopt and vice versa. What will happen if we don't know where bio dad lives? I figure an ad will run in paper of last known town? Will the ad also have to run in childs home town-even if bio dad never lived in that town? Most people already think step dad is the bio dad, and this may be embassing for the child.
Can anyone estimate to me about how much this will cost or what to expect? We have about 1000.00 saved. Thanks for any advice!!!

Seanscott

In our stepparent adoption in Indiana, the total was around $1400. That included court costs, attorney fees, & home study. Since your child is not an infant, it may be easier for you than it was for us.
Gooc luck

haiku

in my stat an uncontested step parent adoption cost 50 dollars for a filing fee. no hassle, no home studies, and 5 minutes before a judge.

in my case calling the court clerk in my county was my first step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">