• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption / Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaymichael1000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
I found out that I had a child when he was twelve years old. The mother send court papers to me stating that I am the father of her child, after I took the test if was confirmed that I was the father, the mother then sued me for child support. I found out years later that when the child was 2 years old, the child was adopted by his step-father and took his last name and the step-father was the child birth certicate as the father. Could the mother have her husband adopt my son when I didn't know the child was mine, then years later sue me for child support? What are my rights? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Silverplum

I found out that I had a child when he was twelve years old. The mother send court papers to me stating that I am the father of her child, after I took the test if was confirmed that I was the father, the mother then sued me for child support. I found out years later that when the child was 2 years old, the child was adopted by his step-father and took his last name and the step-father was the child birth certicate as the father. Could the mother have her husband adopt my son when I didn't know the child was mine, then years later sue me for child support? What are my rights? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
Absolutely not, that would be extremely illegal. The adoption is illegal if you did not consent.

You'll need an attorney to unscrew this mess. :(

Gracie3787

The ONLY way to fix the problem is going to be by you hiring an attorney. Unfortunately, there's really no way around that. You should definately ask your attorney to request that the court order the mother to pay all legal fees and costs.

Silverplum

The ONLY way to fix the problem is going to be by you hiring an attorney. Unfortunately, there's really no way around that. You should definately ask your attorney to request that the court order the mother to pay all legal fees and costs.
:)
Good point, Gracie. I agree!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">