• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption by family member vs. foster family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

J Rost

Hello. My two nieces have been placed in foster care. They have been in foster care for fifteen months. The mother, (my sister) has lost all her parental rights.... I tried to step forward from the very beginning to prevent them from having to be placed in foster care. Now, I am told that the adopted parents will have first rights to adopting the girls..over me. Their Aunt? If you can help me or know of any laws that will help me adopt my nieces. I would greatly appreciate it. They have had a hard life and they have bonded to their foster family. California state adoption has made it clear they do not want to move them again. I can't even find an attorney in the area to take my case...do to conflict of interest. Help me Please! I really love these two girls. The only place they belong is with their family (me). Thank you.

kat1963

The 15 month rule, yeah, that pretty much sums it up (Federal Law) once they have been in there that amount of time then adoption will most certainly take place (best interest of the children). It's hard to find a lawyer who will take on CPS or DSS whatever it's called in that area of the country. You should have filed a motion to intervene when this first happened. I'm not sure what you would be able to do now if anything. Try posting your question to the board members at CPSwatch
I wish there was more that I could do to help you. Perhaps someone at cpswatch can at least point you in the direction of a good attorney.
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">