• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brighteyes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Can someone please explain to me how interstate adoption works? We live in MO and the birth parents live in NE. Our NE lawyer quoted us $1500 for her fees and the MO quoted us $4500. I don't understand why the MO fee is so much higher. She wants us to put $2500 asap into a trust account. Is $4500 within a normal rate for the MO end of it? I would think NE would have more paperwork to do than MO.

Does anyone have a referral for an adoption lawyer that is licensed in MO and NE?

Silverplum

Does anyone have a referral for an adoption lawyer that is licensed in MO and NE?
Reputable, ethical attorneys do not troll message boards for clients. If you want to find an attorney, call your local Bar Association, or use the "Find An Attorney In Your Area" thingie on the right side of the screen.

nextwife

Can someone please explain to me how interstate adoption works? We live in MO and the birth parents live in NE. Our NE lawyer quoted us $1500 for her fees and the MO quoted us $4500. I don't understand why the MO fee is so much higher. She wants us to put $2500 asap into a trust account. Is $4500 within a normal rate for the MO end of it? I would think NE would have more paperwork to do than MO.

Either of those fees is a BARGAIN. Only $4500 is about 1/6th of we had to pay.

brighteyes

We told our lawyer that we had to get our finances in order so we needed to know what to financially expect. Our lawyer gave us this estimate. We had a consult with another lawyer because things weren't making sense to us. The new lawyer explained the process of adoption and all the fees involved. I think the lawyers rate is fair, but I think she should have prepared us in advance. We would have been in a pickle had we not talked to this other lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">