• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption Help in Missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpeters111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Through a mutual friend my wife and I were asked if we were interested in adopting a persons baby that is not born yet (Due 1/28/2009). The mother is a recovering drug abuser and the state has already taken custody of her 3 other children. Apparently when she has this child the state is going to take it into custody also. My question is can we adopt this child even if the state has already filed for custody? Does the adotion have to go through the state? Do adoptions in Missouri have to go through an agency or do you just need a lawyer to file with the courts? Thanks for any input.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does the MOTHER of the child agree to you adopting her child?
(This sounds a little like brokering to me...)

tpeters111

The mother has agreed to this. I have talked to her and she has told me that she wants to concentrate on getting her life together and getting here other children back. She cannot handle another child.

tpeters111

If the state has already filed custody papers, can the mother still have choose who adopts the baby? We have not involved a lawyer yet since I did not know if this was even possible and did not want to run up a legal bill for something that wasnt even possible.. Sounds like I need to go ahead and get him involved though.

seniorjudge

If the state has already filed custody papers, can the mother still have choose who adopts the baby? We have not involved a lawyer yet since I did not know if this was even possible and did not want to run up a legal bill for something that wasnt even possible.. Sounds like I need to go ahead and get him involved though.
You need a lawyer (third time).

The state does not file custody papers on unborn children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">