• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption/Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

logimom

State: Texas

My 16 year old son has not seen his biological father in 10 years. This father has never paid child support or behaved in accordance with the court orders for parenting classes, visitation, or anything. For years, my son has wanted his step-father to either adopt him or just do a legal name change. My question is that now he is 16, do we still have to look for his biological father? We know my son is old enough to take the stand and state for himself, and is willing to do this.

Thanks!

crystaly

You don't necesarily have to look for him, there are certain things you have to do to satisfy the courts that you have tried to locate himand then You can always place an add in the paper by court order to notify the father of the adoption. I'm not sure what the laws are in your state for adoption so I can't tell you if the father still needs to consent or not after the age of 16. I would think that he would have to be notified in one way or another if it is concerning terminating his rights.

seniorjudge

logimom said:
State: Texas

My 16 year old son has not seen his biological father in 10 years. This father has never paid child support or behaved in accordance with the court orders for parenting classes, visitation, or anything. For years, my son has wanted his step-father to either adopt him or just do a legal name change. My question is that now he is 16, do we still have to look for his biological father? We know my son is old enough to take the stand and state for himself, and is willing to do this.

Thanks!
Hire a family law attorney and ask that lawyer your question (which is a good one). Adoptions are tricky and there is only ONE way to do an adoption.

In fact, please post back that lawyer's answer. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">