• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption/Name Change/Abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jma0107

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Hi. I'm hoping to get some advice. I have 2 children, (ages 8 & 9) from a previous marriage. Their biological father and I divorced in June 2004. He left state immediately following our divorce. Since then he returned back to Indiana once in Dec. 2004 and had an overnight visit with one of our children; (the other refused to go.) He suffers from schizophrenia & due to his behavior during the marriage, our oldest child is terrified of him and refuses to have anything to do with him. After that visit with our youngest child, he never returned or made contact. He also owes about $2,000 in child support. I haven't received payment in several months now.

I spoke to him shortly after his Dec. 04 visit and asked him to sign over rights. (I have since then remarried and my current husband would like to adopt them.) He refused, basically told me out of spite he wouldn't sign the papers even if he never seen the kids again.

I have recently tried contacting him again to see if he would reconsider for the best interest of the children; who now call him by his first name and consider my husband to be their dad. Needless to say, he has moved again & I can't find him. There is no forwarding address for him, nor can I locate any of his family.

What can I do at this point? Is there any chance of having his parental rights terminated or to change my children's last name to mine?

Any help would be very, very appreciated!!! Thanks :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">