• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption Process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scatcat

What is the name of your state? MN

The father of my fiances two children has not had contact with them for over 3 years. He now wants to sign off parental rights. I have been playing the father figure since the girls were old enough to crawl. I want to adopt the kids, as we are planning on getting married this year.

We dont have alot of money to spend on lawyers, as we already have a big bill to pay due to the custody battle. Do we have to go through a lawyer to get papers drawn up or are there forms that can just be filled out?
Also, If lawyers are needed on our part, any ideas on somewhere that would do a pro bono case? Or what type of cost it would be to have these papers drawn up?What is the name of your state?

Shay-Pari'e

The father of my fiances two children has not had contact with them for over 3 years. He now wants to sign off parental rights. I have been playing the father figure since the girls were old enough to crawl. I want to adopt the kids, as we are planning on getting married this year.

We dont have alot of money to spend on lawyers, as we already have a big bill to pay due to the custody battle. Do we have to go through a lawyer to get papers drawn up or are there forms that can just be filled out?
Also, If lawyers are needed on our part, any ideas on somewhere that would do a pro bono case? Or what type of cost it would be to have these papers drawn up?What is the name of your state?
You need a lawyer. You also cannot adopt without being married.

nextwife

Just curious. If dad has not had contact in three years, how much of a "custody battle" could he possibly been waging?

When you are married about a year, contact an attorney.

scatcat

It was more so his mother wanting to see the kids than him. Charges were brought against him for molesting the youngest when she was 2 years old. My fiance was also unaware that the father was caught with drugs, and had also got a dwi. In the best interests of the children, she decided to make him go to court for visitation. after a year long court battle, and $24,000 later, she won both physical and legal custody of the children.

The molestation charges were dropped when he agreed to no contact with the children for 5 years. He since has married and doesnt care about these kids, not to mention he doesnt like paying the child support.

Also, about the having to be married part to adopt....a close friend of ours just had her boyfriend of 3 yrs adopt her child. I had heard that you did have to be married, but I guess maybe in MN you dont???

Just Blue

It was more so his mother wanting to see the kids than him. Charges were brought against him for molesting the youngest when she was 2 years old. My fiance was also unaware that the father was caught with drugs, and had also got a dwi. In the best interests of the children, she decided to make him go to court for visitation. after a year long court battle, and $24,000 later, she won both physical and legal custody of the children.

The molestation charges were dropped when he agreed to no contact with the children for 5 years. He since has married and doesn't care about these kids, not to mention he doesn't like paying the child support.

Also, about the having to be married part to adopt....a close friend of ours just had her boyfriend of 3 yrs adopt her child. I had heard that you did have to be married, but I guess maybe in MN you don't???

I couldn't find anything that stated one way or another re a BF adopting GF child.
But the question that begs to be asked....If you are willing to make a LIFE long commitment to your gf's children...wouldn't it be better to actually wait till you're married for a while?? What if things don't work out? YOU will still be the father to these children...will all that entails!
If you have committed to the mother you shouldn't adopt the children.

Shay-Pari'e

We dont have alot of money to spend on lawyers, as we already have a big bill to pay due to the custody battle. Custody battle? He has not seen the kids and wants to sign over his rights. What CUSTODY battle?

Do we have to go through a lawyer to get papers drawn up or are there forms that can just be filled out?You cannot adopt these children untill certain conditions are met, one, you being married.

Also, If lawyers are needed on our part, any ideas on somewhere that would do a pro bono case? Or what type of cost it would be to have these papers drawn up?What is the name of your state.

Please do not adopt these kids, they will know how to *Google before you*.

nextwife

It truly amazes me that someone who is unwilling to enter into a legal commitment to the other parent, IE marriage, would even consider adoption with that parent, which is a far more permanent commitment than marriage. One can get out of a marriage, after all..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">