• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption of a relative.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jay1232

What is the name of your state? Ohio. My wife and I are planning on adopting our neice. She is 12. She hasn't heard from her mother in many years. Her father has agreed to let us adopt her. My question is. Is there anyway to go through the adoption proccess without spending thousands of dollars. The mother has no rights at this time and the father has agreed to this. It would seem to me that a few signatures on some paperwork would be all that was needed. Why would I have to pay adoption fees and lawyer fees? Any help would be great, Thanks.

ellencee

Ohio's laws require an attorney and a whole lot more.
here's a url for Anderson's Ohio Online Docs:
http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/

[§ 3107.01.1] § 3107.011 Who may arrange adoption; aiding or promoting.

A person seeking to adopt a minor shall utilize an agency or attorney to arrange the adoption. Only an agency or attorney may arrange an adoption. An attorney may not represent with regard to the adoption both the person seeking to adopt and the parent placing a child for adoption.

Any person may informally aid or promote an adoption by making a person seeking to adopt a minor aware of a minor who will be or is available for adoption.

HISTORY: 146 v H 419. Eff 9-18-96.
The effective date is set by section 3 of HB 419.

Seanscott

Since the father will not contest the adoption, the fees will not run into the thousands. Our stepparent adoption was "somewhat" contested and the final bill for everything (lawyer, filing fees, home study, etc.) was around $1400. Money very well spent.

Biodad will be given an opportunity to contest the adoption, when he doesn't fight it, the process is fairly simple and should cost you a little less than it did us.

Get a consultation with a GOOD family attorney. It may be free, it may cost $100, but it will certainly clear things up for you.

Good luck

J

Jay1232

Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone your advice. It was a big help.

H

hexeliebe

BAck up a minute here. Poster, you said the mother has no rights now to the child. Is this a court-ordered termination of parental rights or not?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">