• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption of Sister's Biological Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bcloud

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I am the mother of three children, ages 14, 7 and 3. My youngest child was given up at birth by my sister. I was granted temporary custody by DHR when she was only a couple of days old. Therefore, I was allowed to take her home from the hospital. She has been my daughter from the beginnning and the little sister to my two other children.

After 2 court dates, I was awarded full custody of her, as my sister gave up all rights. She has only seen "Katie" 2 times since she was born. The father is unknown.

Although I am her legal guardian and my sister has not expressed any interest in trying to get her back, (as she has a drug addiction) I would like to officially adopt the child so she will share our last name. I hope to do this before she starts school.

We are the only family she has ever known and we truly don't even see her as anything but my birth child.

Can anyone help me with any advice on the steps I need to take to make this official and give her our last name? Any information would be much appreciated.

bononos

Beg borrow, and maybe steal (kidding) to get $$ together for an attorney if you cannot afford one.
Say your prayers that sis will agree and sign.
Are you married?

bcloud

Oops, I left some information out. I am 34 years old and married to the father of my 7 year old son. We have been together for 9 years. He has always considered himself "Daddy" to her. He has been wonderfully supportive.

I know that my sister has no problem with any of this as she detached herself from most of the family years ago. Her plan was to give "Katie" up for adoption from the beginning. I couldn't bare the thought and offered to take her as my own. I think I was naive, in thinking I would just take her home after she was born.

However, she was born with drugs in her system and DHR got involved. We went through a home study and I took a CPR class and a class helping to deal with the issues than you may encounter with a premature baby. (She was 2 months early and weighed 4lbs.)

Last edited:

bononos

bcloud said:
Oops, I left some information out. I am 34 years old and married to the father of my 7 year old son. We have been together for 9 years. He has always considered himself "Daddy" to her. He has been wonderfully supportive.

I know that my sister has no problem with any of this as she detached herself from most of the family years ago. Her plan was to give "Katie" up for adoption from the beginning. I couldn't bare the thought and offered to take her as my own. I think I was naive, in thinking I would just take her home after she was born.

However, she was born with drugs in her system and DHR got involved. We went through a home study and I took a CPR class and a class helping to deal with the issues than you may encounter with a premature baby. (She was 2 months early and weighed 4lbs.)

Your chances are GREAT.
The big issue, can you afford an attorney?

bcloud

I wonder what is the ballpark figure for this service. However, no matter the cost, if I don't have it all, I have enough family support that it wouldn't be a problem.

Also, is it as costly as a regular adoption or would there be a difference considering we have had full custody all her life? The first court date was 6 weeks after birth and the 2nd was when she was 3 months old, at which time my sister signed away her rights and also DHR was relieved of any further obligations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">