• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption and State College

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ipswich

What is the name of your state? Florida

My husband and I recently adopted our granddaughter. We are Florida residents and were Florida residents throughout the adoption/custody process. Because the birth parents are Georgia residents a judge in Brevard County decided we had to do the adoption in Georgia and get the mother's rights terminated there (Birth father is dead). The child has lived with us in Florida for 3 years prior to the adoption. All three of us are Florida residents.

Would Florida let our daughter have the college benefit? Who do we contact to find out?

Any info is appreciated.What is the name of your state?

nextwife

How old is she? If she is a Fl resident when she applies to college, her prior residency is irrelevant. My daughter was adopted in Eastern Europe. But that will have nothing to do with which state college she'll be attending as a resident - she'll be a proud Badger!

Ipswich

She is 6. I believe I didn't state my question clearly. We know she can go to Florida schools as a Florida resident.

We understand that if you adopt in Florida, the child can attend college tuition exempted. I just did some more research and believe this is only when you adopt through DCF. I want to make sure before we begin her college investment-we want to start that now.
I will call DCF to make sure.

Thank you.

Gracie3787

Free tuition just for becoming a family by adoption? Wow!
Yep. However there are a couple of stipulations to the free tuition- the adoption has to be by a family member, and everything has to be done thru DCF.

When DCF removed my Grandson from my son and DIL, my daughter was given custody thru DCF. When TPRs were done after the parents didn't meet the requirements under a parenting plan, DCF was then involved in the full adoption process when my daughter adopted. To this day, they are still involved, my daughter has to have a meeting with DCF every 5 years to make sure that everything is okay. But, as she said, jumping thru all the hoops is worth it, she has a beuatiful son and he has the chance for a college education.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">