• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adoption of step-daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

starseed

What is the name of your state? Florida

My wife had been married 3 times before we were married. She bore a daughter in her 2nd marraige, who is now 6 years old. Her 3rd husband adopted her daughter, and the biological father relinquished his parental rights. My wife bore another daughter to her third husband. After their divorce, she was granted custody of the two children. he was granted visitation to both children. My oldest step-daughter, who is now 6, has adhd and odd, and can be quite a handful at times. About five months ago, my wife's ex-husband decided that he could no longer continue his visitation, because he could not handle her. We agreed to decrease his child support, and in return, he no longer exercised any of his parental rights. We drew up a paper stating this, but it was never filed in any court of law. We would like to have his parental rights reliquished, and I would like to adopt her. Is this process feasible, and if so, can it be done without lawyers? As, neither of us can really afford them.

Seanscott

You need to file a petition to adopt. It can be done without an attorney, but I think you'll need one. Call around for a consultation with a family attorney. It may be free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">