• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption of stepchildren

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

finkkr24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have an 8 year old daughter whose father died over six years ago. We were never married. I have since been married for over 3 years. My husband would like to adopt her. Do we need permission or anything from her father's side of the family in order to start this process and how long does this process typically take? What are the father's family's legal rights before and after the adoption takes place?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You need an attorney. Do the father's family have a relationship with the child? That could impact things but you NEED an attorney to do a stepparent adoption.

finkkr24

I have always allowed her father's family to be a part of her life and would contiue to do so after the adoption. My thoughts run to if something happened to me and I died, would my husband since he is only a step-parent and has no legal rights be allowed to continue to raise her or could her paternal family try to take custody of her?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have always allowed her father's family to be a part of her life and would contiue to do so after the adoption. My thoughts run to if something happened to me and I died, would my husband since he is only a step-parent and has no legal rights be allowed to continue to raise her or could her paternal family try to take custody of her?
Her paternal family could file for custody. I am not saying your husband cannot adopt. I am just saying you need an attorney because you may have to inform your children's father's family of the adoption properly and they MIGHT be able to object.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">