• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarmenMaria

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl
I am a social worker trying to help a 15 year old student. He was born in 1993 in California. At 18 mos. he was adopted in Calif. At 12 years of age, his adoptive parents relinquished their rights and he was put into foster care in Florida. He wants his family history. I have 2 questions:
1) Since he is no longer an adoptee, does his status now reverted to ward of the state, require foster care to actively pursue a search for his family members?
2) Does he have to continue to carry the last name of his adoptive parents?
Thank you!

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl
I am a social worker trying to help a 15 year old student. He was born in 1993 in California. At 18 mos. he was adopted in Calif. At 12 years of age, his adoptive parents relinquished their rights and he was put into foster care in Florida. He wants his family history. I have 2 questions:
1) Since he is no longer an adoptee, does his status now reverted to ward of the state, require foster care to actively pursue a search for his family members?
2) Does he have to continue to carry the last name of his adoptive parents?
Thank you!
1) Since he is in foster care, he is a ward of the state. No, FL is not required to search for family members.

2) His last name will remain the same until he is either re-adopted, or a court orders a name change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">