• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption (Termination of Child Support)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stone123

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

My questions concern the adoption of my children by their step father. I am the biological parent (father) of two children. I have recently signed a consent form (Termination of Parental Rights) giving permission for the adoption. I am now waiting for the process (hearings) to run the course.

My questions are:

1. Do I continue paying child support until the adoption is finalized and recorded.

2. Will I receive any notification from the court that the adoption is final and on record.

3. Am I required to enter a change of circumstance to have child support and other obligations removed from my responsibility (or will the adoption order be enough since it severs the legal relationship).

4. Is it up to me to notify the State Disbursement Unit and County Clerk regarding stoppage of support payments do to the adoption.What is the name of your state?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Stone123 said:
1. Do I continue paying child support until the adoption is finalized and recorded.
Yes.

Stone123 said:
2. Will I receive any notification from the court that the adoption is final and on record.
You should. But if you don't you'd be wise to ask for it.

Stone123 said:
3. Am I required to enter a change of circumstance to have child support and other obligations removed from my responsibility (or will the adoption order be enough since it severs the legal relationship).
The adoption should be enough.

Stone123 said:
4. Is it up to me to notify the State Disbursement Unit and County Clerk regarding stoppage of support payments do to the adoption.What is the name of your state?
It would be wise for you personally to let them know, along with the pertinent paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">