• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adult adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtrippe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia
My grandaughter will turn 18 in february and wants me to adopt her. I brought her home from the hospital and my husband and I cared for her her entire life, along with our other 3 children. He died in 1994..the only father she ever knew. She is a college student now and doing very well, but wants the adoption. I really can't afford an attorney and don't see why we would need one. Can I get papers through legal aid and file on my own? She also wants a new birth certificate with my and my husband listed as her parents. Thank you for any info you can supply.
M. Trippe

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia
My grandaughter will turn 18 in february and wants me to adopt her. I brought her home from the hospital and my husband and I cared for her her entire life, along with our other 3 children. He died in 1994..the only father she ever knew. She is a college student now and doing very well, but wants the adoption. I really can't afford an attorney and don't see why we would need one. Can I get papers through legal aid and file on my own? She also wants a new birth certificate with my and my husband listed as her parents. Thank you for any info you can supply.
M. Trippe
You would have to adopt her as a single parent, therefore your husband could not be listed as her father.

For an adult adoption, it might not cost much for an attorney. I would recommend at least getting a consult with a few adoption attorneys in your area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">